Sharing Thoughts on Nikon Repair Service

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I wanted to share my experience using Nikon's repair service in case you were wondering how the process is or maybe had different experiences in the past. I'll go ahead and say outright that I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use their mail in service again as overall I thought it was a smooth and quick process. This was my first experience with having camera equipment repaired and so I was a little concerned on how the process would go since it involved beloved 500 MM FL.

This lens was purchased used about a year and a half ago and its been great but since the beginning I noticed that if I went about a week or more without using the lens it would make a squealing noise when focusing for the first few times but then go away. Then only like 3 or 4 times over the last 1.5 years did I have an instance where it just wouldn't move the focus motor. I found it was an easy fix just by moving the focus ring back and forth a bit and the problem would go away. Then just two weeks ago I went out only to find it completely stopped focusing and I really had to move the focus ring back and forth a bunch to get it moving again and it was very noticebly slower to focus. It was the first really cold day here when this happened so thought maybe try again the next day at home but still found it would switch from not focusing at all to very slow focusing and thus decided it was time to send it in.

I went to the Nikon website to create a repair ticket which is user friendly and it provided an expected estimate of the repair costs based on the symptoms you provide. It allowed you to pre-authorize that amount so no time was lost waiting for them to receive my approval once diagnosed. Per UPS tracking Nikon received the lens on 11/7/2023. I didn't receive any communication of its receipt or update from Nikon until Friday 11/10 when I received an email where they provided the service order number and a link to check the repair status. Once I followed the link it showed the updated repair estimate amount and since it was less than the amount I pre-approved the status indicated "shop" meaning it was being repaired. Then on Monday 11/13 I checked the status and it said "parts hold" and stayed on that status for two days before moving back to "Shop" on 11/15. I then checked again on 11/16 in the afternoon and noticed the status had changed to "shipped" and there was a UPS tracking number provided and it left their facility the same day. I live in the northeast so shipping didn't take to long and it was delivered today 11/17.

Two minor things that would've made the experience a even better:

I didn't receive any email to indicate the repair had been completed or that the lens had been shipped out I only knew since I checked the status on the website. I remember the initial information indicated that unless I specified Nikon would determine the proper return shipping. I couldn't tell whether they shipped with signature confirmation or if any insurance so in hindsight I should've called to clarify that with them. Since I did see the tracking number on the website I did go ahead and arrange for pickup at a UPS location to avoid any potential package theft issues in case I wasn't home at time of delivery.

The estimate they provided once they had the lens didn't give too much detail as to what the repair included other than "moderate repair service" but I can understand this as things can change once you start digging into the repair. I will say though that they did include the full repair invoice in the box I received which did indicate the Silent Wave Motor and lens bayonet mount were replaced. Another nice touch and maybe its automatically part of those repairs is the clear cover over the lens focus distance indicator had a crack in it from when I initially bought the lens used. I had meant to ask them if it could be replaced while they had it and had forgot but to my surprise they replaced it so if that wasn't part of the normal motor repair I thought that was a really nice touch.

My 70-200mm f//2.8E and my 600mm f/4E lens both experienced a failed autofocus module and as I had owned them for 14 months the repairs were not covered by the now very short Nikon warranty. I had to wait more than a month for Nikon to get the module for the 70-200mm lens in stock and have the lens repaired. I waited more than 3 months for Nikon to have the module for the 600mm f/4 lens available to repair the lens. At this point there is no real advantage to not buying a grey market Nikon lens.

I have been buying Nikon pro level cameras and lenses since 1988 and in the past if there was a defective part in a camera or lens, Nikon would do the repairs regardless of the age of the camera or lens. That is no longer the case which is why to me buying a Nikon "refurbished" (repaired) camera is not a good idea.

My 70-200mm f//2.8E and my 600mm f/4E lens both experienced a failed autofocus module and as I had owned them for 14 months the repairs were not covered by the now very short Nikon warranty. I had to wait more than a month for Nikon to get the module for the 70-200mm lens in stock and have the lens repaired. I waited more than 3 months for Nikon to have the module for the 600mm f/4 lens available to repair the lens. At this point there is no real advantage to not buying a grey market Nikon lens.

I have been buying Nikon pro level cameras and lenses since 1988 and in the past if there was a defective part in a camera or lens, Nikon would do the repairs regardless of the age of the camera or lens. That is no longer the case which is why to me buying a Nikon "refurbished" (repaired) camera is not a good idea.
Good to hear of others experiences and that does sound frustrating having to wait that long for repairs and for them to break that soon.

I haven't paid too much attention to grey market except once or twice and didnt seem like much of a price difference and then worry about being able to find someone that services grey market.

I am very fortunate to have an excellent small repair shop near me (Tucson Camera Repair) which also happens to be an authorized Nikon dealer. Whenever I need a repair I drop it off with them. If it needs to go to Nikon for factory service (like the Z8 strap lug recall), they send it in for me and take care of all shipping and tracking (and can often get it faster than if I send it in myself).

My experience was also good with Nikons repair service. It was the first time I had issues and used them.
The used 500mm PF I bought developed a loose mount over the course of a couple of months. I had good discussions with 2 people at Nikon about how to handle it. I thought I'd need to send my camera (d500) in with it in case the problem was with the camera mount. But since my other lenses were pretty much OK on the camera, they said only send the lens.
They said they'd try the fixed lens on a shop d500 before they sent it back. But I was pretty confident.
I did have to wait for about 3 weeks with a parts hold. By then I was checking the website for the shipped announcement twice a day.
I will probably send in my d500 for cleaning and service after I get a 2nd body. Hopefully soon, either a d850 or wait a while and get a z8.

Back