Short-eared owl

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What are some of your favorite places in the US to capture Short-ear owls?
There are some great spots in upstate NY but I don’t like sharing specific locations publicly since it often leads to crowds, and consequently stressed birds. Generally speaking however, look for open fields with good short grass cover and plenty of rodents, especially in the evening hours.

There are some great spots in upstate NY but I don’t like sharing specific locations publicly since it often leads to crowds, and consequently stressed birds. Generally speaking however, look for open fields with good short grass cover and plenty of rodents, especially in the evening hours.
Agreed, generally I keep tight lipped about specific locations for sensitive species like owls. The advice about looking for ideal habitat is a great guideline to follow. A good tip is to look for harriers during the morning and afternoon hours. SEOs typically like very similar habitat and food sources.

Back