If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jfbacks

A few Short-eared owl images from Christmas day last year. With SEO's it seems it's either feast or famine. I kept ~100 images, all pretty close to these in quality.
Z9, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII, FTZ adapter. Getting a 800mmf6.3 for this season isn't looking good.:(
48624.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
48634.jpg
48655.jpg
48660.jpg
48667.jpg
48671.jpg
48701.jpg

Fantastic shots! Not sure how they could be better with the 800mm lens (though guess it is lighter). Just wondered what area of the country these were taken?
Taken at Clarence Cannon National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Missouri, and yes I am perfectly satisfied with the sharpness of of the lens/TC combo. I would like to dump like to some weight even though I'm in pretty good shape for 66. I will say that the AF and full frame of the Z9 has made capturing images like these an order of magnitude easier than with a D500. The size and weight of the Z9 doesn't bother me at all, I've always had a battery grip on my D100, D300, and D500 and wouldn't be without one. It would also be be nice to remove the TC and FTZ contact points. I duct tape everything together to minimize contact glitches.

Last edited:
Taken at Clarence Cannon National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Missouri, and yes I am perfectly satisfied with the sharpness of of the lens/TC combo. I would like to dump like to some weight even I'm in pretty good shape for 66. I will say that the AF and full frame of the Z9 has made capturing images like these an order of magnitude easier than with a D500. The size and weight of the Z9 doesn't bother me at all, I've always had a battery grip on my D100, D300, and D500 and wouldn't be without one. It would also be be nice to remove the TC and FTZ contact points. I duct tape everything together to minimize contact glitches.
Thanks for the info! Our SEO don't come out till it is darker so never got any shots as good as yours. Will have to visit Missouri I guess.

I was the only person in the wildlife refuge that day(Christmas). It was pretty cold ~5F, so that may have triggered them to come out a little earlier than normal, nearly an 1 1/2 hour before sunset. It was my kids turn to be at their spouses this year on Christmas... just so you don't think I'm a complete loser. ;) There are two refuges/conservation areas that are well know as good areas for SEO's. I avoid Saturdays as it can get rather busy those evenings.