short question: how do you transport a Sony 600GM when travelling by airplane?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ChrisM

I know lot's of you that own a Sony 600GM or a Nikon 600mm f4, travel by airplane and take it along on dedicated birding trips.
I have only recently purchased a Sony 600GM, and we intend to travel to Costa Rica next year (from Europe).
Sony supplies a really nice hardcase for safe transportation, but it measures 61cm in height, whilst the limit for cabin suitcases is 55cm.
How can one safely take such a lens along when travelling by plane?

I carry mine in a 20 liter dry bag lined with 1/2in closed cell foam. On US flights I'm able to get away with calling it my second carry on item in addition to my normal photo backpack that meets the carry on size restrictions.

I use the same backpack Steve does

Ah thanks, so you don't use the supplied hard case. A pity, it seems a nice safe way to transport the lens on a long journey. I use a lenscoat xpandable that can be made flat to go in the large suitcase on the flight, but I will have to get a new bag for the trip to Costa Rica I guess, and one below 55 cm in height, so I can take the lens as carry on.

I never check photo gear. I have made 6 trips to Costa Rica with a 600mm f/4 lens and every trip it goes inside a Gura Gear 32L Bataflae backpack and I carry it by hand on to the aircraft. I have learned to also take a bag that qualifies as a "personal item" and can slide under the seat in front of me and for this I use a Gura Gear 18L backpack which has a compartment for a laptop as well. I put heavy items like batteries in the 18L bag.

Going on the plane the 32L is in one hand using the Bataflae side handle, the 18L is on my back, and my tripod is in the other hand. The gimbal head is in the 18L bag. Zero issues going anywhere with this approach.

I also take a folding Samsonite cart and this I use to move the 32L bag around airports. It folds up to take very little space and I put it in the overhead compartment of the plane and then put the 32 bag on top of it. It is a durable cart and has worked very well over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B9V1R2/?tag=backcogaller-20

I also use the GuraGear Kiboko 30L but the new version. The main difference, it seems, is that the old version could hold the 600f:4 with a mounted body (very barely) while the new one cannot (It holds the 600mm just fine, including the lens hood, if no body is on). But I know it is as big a bag as most airlines will accept without too much of a fight; the trick is to ask the gate agent nicely before the boarding rush if the bag that holds all your professional gear will be ok. so far no one has ever turned me down.

We have several threads on transporting gear on international flights. To get started, type "International" in the search field in the upper right. By scanning the threads, you can spot the ones with pertinent information.

I also use the GuraGear Kiboko 30L but the new version. The main difference, it seems, is that the old version could hold the 600f:4 with a mounted body (very barely) while the new one cannot (It holds the 600mm just fine, including the lens hood, if no body is on). But I know it is as big a bag as most airlines will accept without too much of a fight; the trick is to ask the gate agent nicely before the boarding rush if the bag that holds all your professional gear will be ok. so far no one has ever turned me down.
Even the old version can't fit a 600 with body. Even the Bataflae 32L which was the largest GuraGear bag ever, can't fit a body attached to 600/4. The older bags were better for fitting the reversed hood thickness.

Even the old version can't fit a 600 with body. Even the Bataflae 32L which was the largest GuraGear bag ever, can't fit a body attached to 600/4. The older bags were better for fitting the reversed hood thickness.
Thanks for clarifying; I thought the old ones could accommodate a mounted body, my bad.

I have a couple of different sizes of the Think Tank Airport series bags that are designed for carryon use. I don't have the 600, but both of my bags easily carry either my 800 f5.6 or my 400 f2.8 and most of my other equipment. If I'm packing heavy I might also include a smaller backpack as my under seat item. My tripod typically goes in my checked bag.

Another Kiboko 30 user, here. Only bummer is you can't fit the lens hood in with it, but I packed that in my checked bag this trip. Next trip, I'm going to use one of those foldable LensCoat hoods.

Actually... well, okay TWO bummers. The second bummer is that you can't fit a laptop in the Kiboko. I slip that into my daybag that goes under the seat. Though, the newest version of the Kiboko seems to have a laptop slot (which, naturally, came out a few months after I bought mine). I'm interested to see if it can still fit the 600f4 in that version.

I never transport a lens like the 600mm f/4 with a body attached. The connector or lens mounting flange on the camera is designed to be the first thing that breaks to protect the camera body. The good thing is that this makes for a relatively inexpensive repair at less than $400 but it also takes the camera out of commission until it can get to Nikon and be repaired.

Out in the field it is different as I want to avoid dust getting inside the camera while making changes.

In terms of photo backpacks there is a great deal of diffence in interior space and overall weight for various "30 liter" bags. The Gura Gear 32L provide 20% more interior space with the thinner padding and weighs half as much as my old LowePro Trekker 600AW III backpack.

What is great about the B&H Photo website is the detailed information and filtering options to find a bag with the most usable space and that weighs less. A bag that when empty weighs 3-4 lbs less makes it possible to carry 3-4 lbs more gear inside it. The side handles on the Gura Gear bags also make them much easier to carry on to a plane or from one's room to a vehicle.

I know lot's of you that own a Sony 600GM or a Nikon 600mm f4, travel by airplane and take it along on dedicated birding trips.
I have only recently purchased a Sony 600GM, and we intend to travel to Costa Rica next year (from Europe).
Sony supplies a really nice hardcase for safe transportation, but it measures 61cm in height, whilst the limit for cabin suitcases is 55cm.
How can one safely take such a lens along when travelling by plane?
I carry my z 600 mm TC in its original bag on my shoulder and the remaining of my equipment in the carry on. It worked well for me in my last trip to Florida, I am travel I g soon to Newfoundland and Labrador and then to Tanzania and will be carrying my gear in the same way as I did to Florida.

I looked at the dimensions of the Gura Gear Kiboko 2.0 Backpack (Black, 30L) on B&H's website and it says it's only 5.91" deep, but the Sony 600 F4 has a diameter of 6.4" on B&H. I'm not sure if that's the lens or the hood. Does the Kiboko 2.0 stretch to accomodate that? I'm interested in buying one for a Sony 600 F4 (haven't acquired that yet either), but I'm trying to figure out how that would work considering those numbers.

I looked at the dimensions of the Gura Gear Kiboko 2.0 Backpack (Black, 30L) on B&H's website and it says it's only 5.91" deep, but the Sony 600 F4 has a diameter of 6.4" on B&H. I'm not sure if that's the lens or the hood. Does the Kiboko 2.0 stretch to accomodate that? I'm interested in buying one for a Sony 600 F4 (haven't acquired that yet either), but I'm trying to figure out how that would work considering those numbers.
I fit the 400 and 600GM in it at the same time. The factory hoods fit but it’s very tight with the hoods.

This backpack glass taxi by ThinkTank will hold your 600mm f4 lens but not your camera per the info at the site. Make sure the internal dimensions meet your needs.

Internal Dimensions:
8.7” W x 19.5” H x 8.3” D (22.1 × 49.5 × 21.1 cm)

Exterior Dimensions:
9” W x 21” H x 9.2” D (22.9 × 53.33 × 23.4 cm)

Weight:
2.6–3.9 lbs (1.1–1.8 kg) Depending on accessories used

When I went to Botswana, one of the photographers on the safari had a leather pouch bag for his 500mm f4. He just carried it onto the big jet we took from JoBurg to Botswana and also the return flight. I would not do this, but he did and no issues with the airline.

My personal approach is to never have a camera attached to a long lens when transporting it. It is too risky. This is especially true for when driving from one photo location to another.

This backpack glass taxi by ThinkTank will hold your 600mm f4 lens but not your camera per the info at the site. Make sure the internal dimensions meet your needs.

Internal Dimensions:

Exterior Dimensions:

Weight:

When I went to Botswana, one of the photographers on the safari had a leather pouch bag for his 500mm f4. He just carried it onto the big jet we took from JoBurg to Botswana and also the return flight. I would not do this, but he did and no issues with the airline.

My personal approach is to never have a camera attached to a long lens when transporting it. It is too risky. This is especially true for when driving from one photo location to another.
Thanks, I have looked at that bag too. I’ve wondered if it was better to have two smaller bags (the limo and another camera bag) vs the Kiboko 2. The kiboko 2 seems better overall because I could still have another bag.

Internal Dimensions:

Exterior Dimensions:

Weight:
The glass limo appears 4cm short of being able to carry the Sony 600GM with body attached.

Although of course it is better to transport the lens without a body attached, what will I do when I get to my destination? Mount/dismount the camera body at every occasion where I want to move? It seems hopelessly impractical.

But with the carry-on size restriction of 55cm this bag is at the limit, and I guess I will need to bring another bag for shooting on location that will allow for the body to be attached.

I never check as baggage anything I will need at my destination. Fortunately the international airports in Costa Rica will accommodate large passenger planes that will have overhead bins that can handle a 600mm lens in a backpack. I keep my backpack to a maximum thickness of 7 inches to make it easy to fit the bin as sometimes the bottom of the bin rises up and so there is not the full 8 inches one might expect.

I take a "personal item" size backpack as well and put as much as possible inside it. This reduces the bulk and the weight of the big backpack and it is easier on my body to not carry a heavy bag in one hand. I also use a small folding cart with bungee cords to move the large backpack around on the ground.

I either fly with an airline where I have special privileges so I can board in the first wave of passengers or I buy a special economy plus ticket to be able to board earlier. This way the overhead bins are nearly empty and I have no problems fitting my backpack inside along with the folding cart.

With my Nikon 600mm f/4E lens I left the lens hood at home and took instead a LensCoat folding hood that took less space in the backpack and no worries about damaging a hood that would cost me $600 to replace.

I have the old Kiboko and my Sony a1 WITH the 600 attached WILL fit. It is tight but not unreasonably so. It works better when you turn the camera vertical. See attached pics. Of course, it is Not attached while traveling by plane but once I get there then I attach it and don't have to keep messing with it. Is the new version shorter? In mine, along the middle it is 20.5 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpg
    IMG_4033.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4034.jpg
    IMG_4034.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4038.jpg
    IMG_4038.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 37
Back