Should my macro 105 rattle?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Griffym

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I really like my MC 105/2.8S. It works much better than my old F-mount 105 F2.8. On the camera the lens is silent and behaves impeccably. Just recently I picked it up when it was not mounted on the camera and noticed a slight rattling sound. I was worried because I had not dropped it or anything. I checked the elements inside from the front using a torch and saw nothing out of place. From the back it looked like a small element was loose.
I contacted the shop I bought it from and even though it was after the shop should have been shut, I got a reply within 40 minutes telling me to put it back on the camera and shoot some video and explaining that some rattling was normal because there is no power to the built in VR. It is under warranty so could have it checked/ repaired but is that necessary?
Once on the camera the lens was silent. Maybe it’s OK.
The MC105 is different from my other Z lenses which have no built in VR. On my DSLR lenses you can switch off VR via a lens button. I am a bit concerned. Is this something other Z mount lenses with VR built in do? Should I be concerned? How should I deal with the lens, ignore it, wrap it in bubble wrap when I place it in my camera bag?

Last edited:
I really like my MC 105/2.8S. It works much better than my old F-mount 105 F2.8. On the camera the lens is silent and behaves impeccably. Just recently I picked it up when it was not mounted on the camera and noticed a slight rattling sound. I was worried because I had not dropped it or anything. I checked the elements inside from the front using a torch and saw nothing out of place. From the back it looked like a small element was loose.
I contacted the shop I bought it from and even though it was after the shop should have been shut, I got a reply within 40 minutes telling me to put it back on the camera and shoot some video and explaining that some rattling was normal because there is no power to the built in VR. It is under warranty so could have it checked/ repaired but is that necessar?
Once on the camera the lens was silent. Maybe it’s OK.
The MC105 is different from my other Z lenses which have no built in VR. On my DSLR lenses you can switch off VR via a lens button. I am a bit concerned. Is this something other Z mount lenses with VR built in do? Should I be concerned? How should I deal with the lens, ignore it, wrap it in bubble wrap when I place it in my camera bag?
It should or there is something wrong with it.

OK. Thanks for the reassurance. A bit unsettling but interestingly the noise seems less after I took some video and some images then left it on the Z6ii for a while. No noise at all when on the camera and when I took it off the camera it seemed not to be as noisy when moved.

A6963D9C-850E-4F40-AE86-ABFDD28B68DD.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back