Shoulder protection

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've started carrying my Z8 and Nikon 500 f4 over my shoulder using a monopod. But I need some sort of shoulder pad. I did a search for sawyer (tree felling) and came up with a few ideas. What are you all using? I have a pad mounted on my tripod but there are days when I don't feel like carrying that extra weight.

Thanks

Instead of putting an awkward pad on your shoulder, just buy a length of foam pipe insulation in a size that fits the diameter of the top section of your monopod. I’ve had such tubes on every monopod and tripod I’ve owned for past 40 yrs. Cheap and effective and works wonders cushioning the weight on my shoulder. In the days prior to carbon fiber, these tubes also made it more comfortable handling aluminum legs in cold weather. Cannot beat the price

I've started carrying my Z8 and Nikon 500 f4 over my shoulder using a monopod. But I need some sort of shoulder pad. I did a search for sawyer (tree felling) and came up with a few ideas. What are you all using? I have a pad mounted on my tripod but there are days when I don't feel like carrying that extra weight.

Thanks
Some foam pipe insulation "noodles" (?) from a hardware store will do just fine, and provide padding. They do slip, and tight taping doesn't completely remove the problem. A small piece or two of double-sided tape, or a dab of rubber cement will secure the foam, and can be removed with rubbing alcohol. One caveat: In college, my photo professor asked me to move his 5x 7 view camera and tripod. I picked it up, and put it over my shoulder, only to hear the camera and lens hit the ground! :eek: I had no idea the camera wasn't firmly attached to the tripod! The camera was repaired...no damage to the lens, and I passed the class! (y) BE sure EVERYTHING is locked down tight before picking it up!

Last edited:
That's interesting. Nice find. I think I might go the bean bag route first because it's so simple. And then after I've picked it up off the ground a dozen times and become frustrated I'll end up buying the Proaim Comfy pad :)

That's interesting. Nice find. I think I might go the bean bag route first because it's so simple. And then after I've picked it up off the ground a dozen times and become frustrated I'll end up buying the Proaim Comfy pad :)
FWIW re the comfy pad. I've used something similar (don't even remember what brand; likely lenscoat) but felt it lent itself to providing a smooth slope off of which the tripod leg (I used it with my tripod, not a monopod) to slide off of my shoulder -- effectively it needed either to be more horizontally level or to have a ridge or other 'catch' to keep the leg on the pad; or be soft enough that the leg sunk in enough to hold. Don't know if this particular pad 'fixes' those issues I had.

FWIW re the comfy pad. I've used something similar (don't even remember what brand; likely lenscoat) but felt it lent itself to providing a smooth slope off of which the tripod leg (I used it with my tripod, not a monopod) to slide off of my shoulder -- effectively it needed either to be more horizontally level or to have a ridge or other 'catch' to keep the leg on the pad; or be soft enough that the leg sunk in enough to hold. Don't know if this particular pad 'fixes' those issues I had.
Yes, I thought about that....... I would try to have the tripod "sit upright" on my shoulder (with one tripod leg in front and one down my back) and hold it using the 3rd leg sticking out away from my body. Have no idea if that would work....

I spoke with a professional photographer here locally and he had a method which I found kind of funny and kind of brilliant. He would load all his gear into a children's tri stroller and push it to where he needed to go. He's a little eccentric

Attachments

• IMG_4609_DxO.jpg
    IMG_4609_DxO.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4610_DxO.jpg
    IMG_4610_DxO.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 6
Back