Shout out to Sony

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I purchased my A1 at the end of April, and by the end of June I was having problems with it. The AF area got stuck in the upper right corner of the view finder, the shutter stopped working for about 20 minutes, and when I reset to factory defaults and tried to set up the menu and customizations, it kept kicking me out of the menu and into shooting mode. I called Sony, and they decided that it needed repair. After a month I got it back with a new motherboard. In response to my post service survey, I received a phone call this morning. We discussed my concerns about an expensive camera having these problems, and that maybe I got a lemon and will continue to have problems. So Sony extended my warranty for a second year at no cost to me. So still not happy about having the problems, but at least Sony is trying to make it right.

I wonder why they didn’t just replace it with a new A1? Surely cheaper all round. Probably short supply issues which all makers are facing.

Thats not an invitation for a rant guys, lol

You use the manual shutter? Lol but in all seriousness things break and that never is a good thing however it’s how they handle the problem that makes a world of difference.

If somethings going to fail it's often quite quickly. Good to know you have an extra year to keep an eye on things but odds are that it will be fine.
Reminds me though that I really should try my manual shutter. Its still on zero :unsure:

If somethings going to fail it's often quite quickly. Good to know you have an extra year to keep an eye on things but odds are that it will be fine.
Reminds me though that I really should try my manual shutter. Its still on zero :unsure:
I agree that odds are it will be fine. But if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all, so having that extra year is nice.

They told me that it was cheaper to do the repairs, or they would have replaced the camera.
I would imagine it was less expensive. But getting a new motherboard on a computerized gadget like today's cameras is like getting a new engine and transmission on your car.

Something like that always makes us nervous and we’d rather have a new camera. But giving another year of warranty is very reasonable and I don’t think we can fault them for that.

I purchased my A1 at the end of April, and by the end of June I was having problems with it. The AF area got stuck in the upper right corner of the view finder, the shutter stopped working for about 20 minutes, and when I reset to factory defaults and tried to set up the menu and customizations, it kept kicking me out of the menu and into shooting mode. I called Sony, and they decided that it needed repair. After a month I got it back with a new motherboard. In response to my post service survey, I received a phone call this morning. We discussed my concerns about an expensive camera having these problems, and that maybe I got a lemon and will continue to have problems. So Sony extended my warranty for a second year at no cost to me. So still not happy about having the problems, but at least Sony is trying to make it right.
When my new A7 started to play up it went back several times.
My biggest gripe about Sony is that they dont have their own repair shops and dont carry many spare parts.
Just out of warranty the camera finally failed completely - the Sony repairer couldn't fix it even at my cost.
Sony offered me a small discount on a newer model.
Now my A7 is a paperweight...🦘

When my new A7 started to play up it went back several times.
My biggest gripe about Sony is that they dont have their own repair shops and dont carry many spare parts.
Just out of warranty the camera finally failed completely - the Sony repairer couldn't fix it even at my cost.
Sony offered me a small discount on a newer model.
Now my A7 is a paperweight...🦘
That is upsetting. I'm sorry about your A7.
I agree about the parts - I had to wait 2 weeks for the parts to come in. That doesn't seem like a lot of time overall, but I'm going to Brazil at the end of this month and I was very stressed over getting my camera back in time.

I have several cameras so I wouldn't care too much how long the parts took.
But these small Sony sponsored repair centres dont have access to many parts making their job difficult.
The Sony camera division deserves and needs to do better here...🦘

Back