Shutter Count Reset After Shutter Replacement? (Nikon)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodyg3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just for fun I checked the shutter actuation count on my eldest D500 today. It is 394,000. The shutter was replaced a couple or three years ago. I'm just wondering if this is a count for the full life of the camera, or if it got reset when the shutter was replaced. Anyone know if Nikon resets the shutter count when they replace a shutter?

Nikon doesn't reset the shutter count on shutter replacements. This way you as a buyer know how much true wear and tear is on the camera. You should have marked the shutter count when you got it back from Nikon on the repair slip to document when the new shutter count started.

Nikon may not reset the shutter count with a replaced shutter, but the count does get reset if you have a main PC board replacement. Happened on my D500 when the XQD slot got jammed from a bad Sony XQD card. Shutter count went from 57200 to <100.

Nikon may not reset the shutter count with a replaced shutter, but the count does get reset if you have a main PC board replacement. Happened on my D500 when the XQD slot got jammed from a bad Sony XQD card. Shutter count went from 57200 to <100.
Correct, but that's not resetting the shutter count. That's replacing the mainboard which keeps that information. Nothing can be done with that. But the point made is that Nikon can not reset the shutter count when replacing the shutter. Replacing the mainboard is the only scenario that this happens

I know it was about 250,000 when I sent it in to replace the shutter. I'm not too worried about it one way or another, just a matter of interest to me. I intend to use the camera until I can no longer get repair parts. :)
Nikon doesn't reset the shutter count on shutter replacements. This way you as a buyer know how much true wear and tear is on the camera. You should have marked the shutter count when you got it back from Nikon on the repair slip to document when the new shutter count started.

Back