Shutter speed for Diving Ospreys

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mark Smith has great vids on YouTube with diving Ospreys. Not sure what equipment and setting he uses.
He used to be a Nikon shooter but several years ago he switched to Sony. Most recently he was trying out the new 300mm f/2.8 with or without a TC but has used the 600mm f/4 in the past for many of his videos (also the zoom). In response to a question he once said he shoots handheld. No idea what settings.

He used to be a Nikon shooter but several years ago he switched to Sony. Most recently he was trying out the new 300mm f/2.8 with or without a TC but has used the 600mm f/4 in the past for many of his videos (also the zoom). In response to a question he once said he shoots handheld. No idea what settings.
He is shooting handheld, With Ospreys you must shoot handheld.

Difference is, he is paying the boat by making a workshop so he could stay longer, and spend many more days at the same spot. Vs. I had limited time. With wild life it’s impossible to predict. So I prayed to the almighty to send the Ospreys, Like the boat captain said, “Your prayers were answered!”

I shot a thousand stills to work up the skill and get acquainted with tracking them. Then I shot video just to find the best position to capture the most stable footage.

I came home with over 5K shots and many videos. between me using the Z9 and my wife the Z8. Culing them will be a task, but I have the shots I was after! Osprey’s and Spoonbills.

I clipped wings with the 800mm on the first dive, But I did much better on the second dive, that dive the Ospreys came out without a fish…

I bought Mark’s online training workshop on how to stabilize this kind of handheld video footage, in Premiere, and After effects.

I will post the video and stills.

Thank you everyone for the support!

I know everyone has their own technique, but FWIW I always shoot ospreys from a tripod, but I'm also shooting from the shore. I'm typically shooting focal lengths from 600mm to over 1200mm which is too long to track well when shooting video hand held...at least for me.

I know everyone has their own technique, but FWIW I always shoot ospreys from a tripod, but I'm also shooting from the shore. I'm typically shooting focal lengths from 600mm to over 1200mm which is too long to track well when shooting video hand held...at least for me.
My wife said she would like to shoot some more from the shore which is free… But Need to pay with way more time waiting for the action, and it’s still not the same as positioning on a boat at a perfect spot.

I’m curious how you manage the tripod. Particular when they fall in for a dive, there is no time to lock up focus. The focus lock has to be solid when they fly straight overhead. How do you point the camera on a tripod straight up and above? How do you walk around the tripod when you pan from left 8 o’clock to the right 4 o’clock? You would need a platform like the World War II bombers had a spinning turret.

My wife said she would like to shoot some more from the shore which is free… But Need to pay with way more time waiting for the action, and it’s still not the same as positioning on a boat at a perfect spot.

I’m curious how you manage the tripod. Particular when they fall in for a dive, there is no time to lock up focus. The focus lock has to be solid when they fly straight overhead. How do you point the camera on a tripod straight up and above? How do you walk around the tripod when you pan from left 8 o’clock to the right 4 o’clock? You would need a platform like the World War II bombers had a spinning turret.
The problems you've described are real depending on the proximity of the osprey's hunting area. I primarily shoot them fishing in a river, so as long as I can range 200-degrees or so laterally I can capture most action. To clear shore obstructions (tall grasses/plants) I typically wear rubber boots and setup in the river near the shore where the water is shallow. I anticipate the direction the osprey is likely to head and position my feet so I can quickly shift around the tripod, though that's easier said that done at times. As far as elevations goes, I can only shoot up to about 60 degrees before losing the target, but most times I'm shooting them well within 45 degrees from horizon. In theory, hand holding would get around this problem, but I find it nearly impossible to smoothly track them a long focal lengths -- as you know Ospreys fly very erratically as they hunt.

@JoelKlein general rule of thumb for video shutter speed is 2X the frame rate. For stills on diving Osprey, as fast as you can get keeping the ISO reasonable. With stills, I try to keep it above 1/2500. 1/3200 is better and 1/4000 is better yet assuming you can keep ISO reasonable.

Looking forward to seeing your photos and videos. Good luck, hope you see some.
Jeff
Interestingly, I shot some Osprey diving shots in our local ponds last summer; however, I wasn't aware of this rule of thumb, so my video was shot at 1/2500 shutter speed, 120 fps using Z9 and hand-holding the camera and 400TC. The videos turned up ok; I guess they could be made better following the rule of thumb - will try it definitely this year. Here's the video. I had to admit that the background was awful; however, the camera managed to keep the bird in focus. O dive 3.mp4

Interestingly, I shot some Osprey diving shots in our local ponds last summer; however, I wasn't aware of this rule of thumb, so my video was shot at 1/2500 shutter speed, 120 fps using Z9 and hand-holding the camera and 400TC. The videos turned up ok; I guess they could be made better following the rule of thumb - will try it definitely this year. Here's the video. I had to admit that the background was awful; however, the camera managed to keep the bird in focus. O dive 3.mp4
like all rules of thumb, rules are made to be broken. I see anything like this (and same for stills) as a starting point.

Handholding Z9+400TC Wow! You’re a Navy Seal!
What method did you use to stabilize the video?

Handholding Z9+400TC Wow! You’re a Navy Seal!
What method did you use to stabilize the video?
I only use the built-in stabilizer within the camera and lens. I hold the lens on my left hand and keep the upper part of the arm flushed against the body which is bent slightly backward to give the combo as much stabilization as possible. I hardly ever use a tripod or monopod and been hand-holding for many years starting with D5/500mm f/4+1.4 tx and got used to doing so.

When I was researching the f-mount Sigma 60-600mm lens for video I found Sony shooters using this lens and shooting hand held. Having internal optical stabilization in the camera is a game changer in terms of shooting video hand held. What applied with a DSLR does not necessarily apply with a mirrorless camera with internal image stabilization. We see this with still shooting as well with hand held 800mm lenses and camera shutter speeds slower of 1/60s.

I only use the built-in stabilizer within the camera and lens. I hold the lens on my left hand and keep the upper part of the arm flushed against the body which is bent slightly backward to give the combo as much stabilization as possible. I hardly ever use a tripod or monopod and been hand-holding for many years starting with D5/500mm f/4+1.4 tx and got used to doing so.
Yah, I treid keeping my left hand flushed to my body, but That limits the angles, for example, a fly overhead, I must extend my arm. Even when it is flush, my laft hand would start to shake after a while.
I don’t want a tripod, but I do want a soft plushy support to rest my arm on while shooting. Similar to a fence

Yah, I treid keeping my left hand flushed to my body, but That limits the angles, for example, a fly overhead, I must extend my arm. Even when it is flush, my laft hand would start to shake after a while.
I don’t want a tripod, but I do want a soft plushy support to rest my arm on while shooting. Similar to a fence
One plus thing going for you is taking a video in 120 fps - high sampling rate masks the shakes to a minimum; at 30 fps the shakes are lot more apparent.

Back