Side mount gimbals

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm thinking about getting the ProMediaGear GKJr. Katana Pro side mount gimbal for wildlife for two reasons:
  • I have a regular gimbal and it's heavy and bulky
  • I'm interested in using it on a monopod as well as a tripod - dual purpose
Does anyone have experience with this item, and if so, what do you think? When you use a sidemount, can you let go of the camera/lens?

I've also looked at the Wimberly MH-100 and saw Steve's video on it. I'm considering that, but the GKJr. can also be used on a tripod, so that's a plus.

Initially I'd be using it with the Nikon 800pf, but could end up using it with other big primes at some point too.

Does this look like a good idea to you?

IMG_0604.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm thinking about getting the ProMediaGear GKJr. Katana Pro side mount gimbal for wildlife for two reasons:
Does anyone have experience with this item, and if so, what do you think? When you use a sidemount, can you let go of the camera/lens?

I've also looked at the Wimberly MH-100 and saw Steve's video on it. I'm considering that, but the GKJr. can also be used on a tripod, so that's a plus.

Initially I'd be using it with the Nikon 800pf, but could end up using it with other big primes at some point too.
I’ve never used the PMG GK Jr. katana side mount. However, I’ve used a Wimberley sidekick with a ballhead as my gimbal on a tripod. The sidekick, as the name implies, is side-mounting. When properly balanced, the lens can be left alone without it falling forward or back.

I also own the MH-100 for use with a monopod. The one thinig I don’t like about it is that it’s imbalanced from side to side. The PMG gimbal would appear to solve that problem, albeit at three times the cost and about a pound heavier. But as you point out, it works as a true gimbal on a tripod that is much lighter than a conventional gimbal. So perhaps worth it.

Last edited:
Here’sa video on the PMG GT2 Tomahawk.
This video does make me smile a bit. Can you say Wimberly sidekick. Also the RRS monpod head has had the dovetail base for a decade or more. I noticed that he didn't show himself mounting the camera/600 f4 onto the unit. There is a reason for that, I know having had side mounted gimbals/monopod heads.

I use the mh100 on a monopod and it’s great,m for my 600 f4. Can’t speak on the other one.
The Wimberley MH-100 would be useless on a tripod, even with a rotating base. That mass is all cantilevered out to one side so the centre of gravity shifts outside or very close to the area where the tripod will still have some stability. Even with one leg in line it’s not a risk I’d take....except with your camera, not mine.
The likes of the sidekick gimbals, whilst not ideal with large lenses, at least the CG stays somewhere roughly over the tripod centre.

TLDR: My setup is to use the GT2 Tomahawk with my monopod, the GKjr Katana Pro (std mount) with my tripod and my MH-100 probably needs to go on the auction block.

I have the Wimberley MH-100, the PMG GT2 Tomahawk and the PMG GKjr Katana Pro gimbal head (std tripod mount, not side mount). I was even able to purchase both of the PMG gimbals when they were on sale, so keep an eye out for those opportunities.

I used to use the MH-100 on a monopod with my Nikon Z9/500 PF combination and it worked ok. It's small and functions adequately, but I was still interested in looking for other options that might provide more stability. So I got the GT2 Tomahawk to replace the MH-100 and I couldn't be happier with this product. The GT2 Tomawawk is sturdier and a much more stable platform to shoot from with a monopod then the MH-100, and it's a joy to use. Needless to say, I haven't picked up the MH-100 since I got the Tomahawk.

I've only had my 600 F4 TC for a couple of weeks now, and I have used it with both the Tomahawk on a monopod, and the GKjr Katana Pro on my tripod. Both of these gimbal heads work well with a big heavy lens like the 600 F4.

There is no way I would choose to use the MH-100 with my 600 F4, even though the weight of the lens + camera combo would be within the weight tolerances for the MH-100. The Tomahawk and the GKjr are simply much more robust options, with more functionality as well.

I decided not to go for the GKjr in the sidemount configuration, mostly because I prefer the naturalness of operating the camera with the lens oriented over the top of it's lens foot and centered on the tripod. Some people say there might be more stress on the lens/tripod collar over time when you use the side mount, but I doubt there is any evidence to indicate this is actually true. That's probably the most common mount configuration when using a monopod, and I haven't heard of any issues with this setup.

You could go with the "two birds with one stone" setup of a having a side mount gimbal head that works with both a monopod and a tripod, but for myself, I went with the gimbal head solution that I preferred for each support system individually. Yes, it's more costly this way, but I get the gimbal head that I want, where I want it.

Last edited:
TLDR: My setup is to use the GT2 Tomahawk with my monopod, the GKjr Katana Pro (std mount) with my tripod and my MH-100 probably needs to go on the auction block.

I have the Wimberley MH-100, the PMG GT2 Tomahawk and the PMG GKjr Katana Pro gimbal head (std tripod mount, not side mount). I was even able to purchase both of the PMG gimbals when they were on sale, so keep an eye out for those opportunities.

I used to use the MH-100 on a monopod with my Nikon Z9/500 PF combination and it worked ok. It's small and functions adequately, but I was still interested in looking for other options that might provide more stability. So I got the GT2 Tomahawk to replace the MH-100 and I couldn't be happier with this product. The GT2 Tomawawk is sturdier and a much more stable platform to shoot from with a monopod then the MH-100, and it's a joy to use. Needless to say, I haven't picked up the MH-100 since I got the Tomahawk.

I've only had my 600 F4 TC for a couple of weeks now, and I have used it with both the Tomahawk on a monopod, and the GKjr Katana Pro on my tripod. Both of these gimbal heads work well with a big heavy lens like the 600 F4.

There is no way I would choose to use the MH-100 with my 600 F4, even though the weight of the lens + camera combo would be within the weight tolerances for the MH-100. The Tomahawk and the GKjr are simply much more robust options, with more functionality as well.

I decided not to go for the GKjr in the sidemount configuration, mostly because I prefer the naturalness of operating the camera with the lens oriented over the top of it's lens foot and centered on the tripod. Some people say there might be more stress on the lens/tripod collar over time when you use the side mount, but I doubt there is any evidence to indicate this is actually true. That's probably the most common mount configuration when using a monopod, and I haven't heard of any issues with this setup.

You could go with the "two birds with one stone" setup of a having a side mount gimbal head that works with both a monopod and a tripod, but for myself, I went with the gimbal head solution that I preferred for each support system individually. Yes, it's more costly this way, but I get the gimbal head that I want, where I want it.
When you use the Tomahawk on the monopod with your 600 f4, is it still offset from the center quite a bit?

I am mainly handholding but I use a Lensmaster RH-1 Side Mount Gimbal on my tripod. I mounted it with a D500 and 200-500 previously and now with a Z7 and 180-600 it handles the weight easily and will probably be capable of more. I have used it on a monopod but i prefer to handhold over using the monopod so ended up selling it.

What I love about them is the simplicity, strength and above all the ease of service. It's really easy to remove, clean and regrease the bearings if there is any sand, mud or grit in there. They make them in black or a cool mottled grey metal which perfectly matches Gitzo tripods. Plus they are reasonable priced at £157.45 at last check (no idea on dollar cost or shipping)

Lensmaster is a little known company based in the UK (They ship worldwide though) Their full swing arm gimbal RH-2 was a favourite of Libor Vaicenbacher from Photography Life. He did a review on it which shows the bearings dismantled.

When you use the Tomahawk on the monopod with your 600 f4, is it still offset from the center quite a bit?

Yes, the lens is definitely offset from the center column when using the Tomahawk.

I tried to grab a couple of quick shots to help illustrate the amount:

IMG_3950.jpg
IMG_3953.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that he didn't show himself mounting the camera/600 f4 onto the unit. There is a reason for that, I know having had side mounted gimbals/monopod heads.
Definitely awkward getting it on and off, and double checking the tightness of the clamp on the camera foot is a must. I had to transition to the sidekick, seems to have solved the issues I had with the regular gimbal and Z9/600pf balance (camera had to be pushed all the way forward for balance to work). I would have much preferred to keep using a regular gimbal but when I upgraded to the Z9/600pf, the sidekick on a ball head gave me my balance back.

I'll usually stay in one spot for 2 or 3 hours so a hands-off balanced camara is much desired.

A question on this. I have the MH-100, and my main gripe with it is the heavy side imbalance. When you say the GT2 is a much more stable platform, are you saying the lens is now balanced over the monopod or that it is significantly better balanced than the MH-100, but is still off-balance to some degree? The GT2 looks very attractive, other than the price. I'm just trying to weigh whether the better (but still somewhat?) imbalance of the GT2 is worth $200 over the price of the MH-100. Thanks.

On a monopod all I need is adjustable tilt and this entails the use of an inexpensive head like the Desmond DMH-2 DLC tilt head that sells for $55 and has a quick release mechanism for the lens foot/plate. With a monopod I can pan or swivel by rotating the monopod.

A side mount gimbal works the worst in general and I found this to be the case when using the Wimberley Sidekick mounted to a ball head. It as far more likely to interfere with my access to camera controls on the front of the camera and with the side of the lens adjacent to the arm.

I have both. I actually really like the size, weight and performance of the Wimberly for local trips and jaunts through the woods. It is absolutely perfect if you like to carry your monopod over your shoulder. Very stable and comfortable. Shooting with it is easy. I tend to travel with the PM Tomahawk. I can use it on my monopod, tripod or Platypod. If you put it on an RRS Panning Clamp(or Leofoto copy) you have an exceptional Gimbal for your tripod. Also, if you want a lever release on any PM Katana or Tomahawk, it is easy to swap out with an RRS/Leofoto lever release clamp.

I've had Manfroto tiltheads on my alpenstock and monopod for years. With a monopod all you really need is the ability to tilt the camera/lens, rotation is dealt with by allowing the monopod to rotate in the hand.

On a monopod all I need is adjustable tilt and this entails the use of an inexpensive head like the Desmond DMH-2 DLC tilt head that sells for $55 and has a quick release mechanism for the lens foot/plate. With a monopod I can pan or swivel by rotating the monopod.

A side mount gimbal works the worst in general and I found this to be the case when using the Wimberley Sidekick mounted to a ball head. It as far more likely to interfere with my access to camera controls on the front of the camera and with the side of the lens adjacent to the arm.
Interesting. Different strokes for different folks. 🙂 I’ve always favored the Wimberley sidekick for lower weight, cost and ease of transitioning from gimbal to ballhead activity. This has allowed me to use one tripod over many years for photography ranging from macro and landscapes to BIF with 500 f4 primes, TCs and heavy camera bodies. I haven’t had a problem with camera or lens access with the sidekick, but probably because I operate gear differently or have just adapted to it.

Last edited:
Interesting. Different strokes for different folks. 🙂 I’ve always favored the Wimberley sidekick for lower weight, cost and ease of transitioning from gimbal to ballhead activity. This has allowed me to use one tripod over many years for macro and landscapes to BIF with 500 f4 primes, TCs and heavy camera bodies. I haven’t had a problem with camera or lens access with the sidekick, but probably because I operate gear differently or have just adapted to it.
I think you nailed it about adapting. Each of these systems are effective and it really is more about finding the right one for your style/workflow.

Check out the Promediagear GT2 Tomahawk, it works great on a monopod and also on a tripod with a https://promediagear.com/collection...ahawk-add-on-gimbal-attachment-for-ball-heads
Another vote for the PMG Tomahawk, I set it up for both monopod and tripod use and use it 99% on a monopod for 200-400/4 and 300/2.8 w/TC20 usage. On the monopod I have it tilted back approx 20deg on a Manfrotto tilt head so really high angles are possible without any clearance issues for airshows. Works very well indeed and still seconds to move from mono to tripod. Mine is the V1, not sure I would invest just to reduce the weight to change to the V2, the V1 works so well.

Back