Sigma 500mm AF Issues?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hey all,

I just purchased a used Sigma 500mm f/4 lens (like new condition from mpb) and was testing it out today. It doesn't appear to be auto-focusing correctly. While I expect there is a problem with the item, as opposed to me, I figured I would put this out there in case there is something obvious I am missing. I have learned some of you have used this lens so I figured who better to ask.

The issue is inconsistent AF. Although it is accurate and fast in many cases, in others the lens hunts for a bit and then gives up with things nowhere near focused. For instance (all testing was done indoors), I successfully AF'd on an object a little way beyond the minimum focusing distance of the lens, focused successfully on something next to it, then focused at 2-3 things 2-5 ft beyond these objects. The AF worked fine. While I could continue to focus at the greater distances, I could not AF on the close items as I worked backwards. The lens would search for a second or two and give up. The items were totally out of focus. I was able to repeat the sequence.

Less methodically, focusing on other items in the house was successful sometimes, and unsuccessful at other times.

I am using a D850 and set the lens to its full focusing range. I do not have the same issues with a Nikon 200-500mm zoom lens on the same camera.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I have Sigma Sports 500 F4. I have used it on D500, D850 and Z9. It works/ed OK on the three.

• Sigma focusing ability is influenced by settings that are settable using the Sigma USB dock.
    • I would recommend to set all settings to default for the tests
    • There is a specific setting for focusing in the menu for 500/F4. Check those before resetting it (the options included are for prioritizing speed or accuracy)
  • Maybe try it outside with clearly defined focus targets to be sure that it is not an issue of poor light/contrast.
  • If you are still in doubt, contact Sigma authorized service point. They were very useful anytime when I contacted them.
    • or return it to MPB if that is still an option
  • Sigma 5 year warranty is transferable to second hand purchases. Check your one for the warranty.

Last edited:
I've had issues with Sigma lenses over the years. I bought a 70-200 f2.8 around 2005 or 6 and loved it for its sharpness, small size and light weight. The guy were very keen to sell me an extended 3 year warranty, but I said no thanks. The guy then said they would include the extended warranty and reduce the price of the lens by the cost of the warranty! He must be getting a great slice of that cake.

At just under 3 years old the AF motor failed. I blessed that guy who wanted his cut of the warranty premium that day. I got the lens back, sold it and bought a Nikkor AF-S 80-200 f2.8.

Fast forward to 2017 and I bought a Sigma 150-600 Sport. Just out of warranty the AF motor failed and it cost me £200 to fix. This time due to the weight and size of the lens I took it into their service centre and the guy there said that it could be that I'm not using it enough - and as it happens it is my least used lens and I'll be selling it soon.

If you don't have any luck with @Tibor Hrnko great advice it just might be that your lens has not seen too much use and this is behind the issues you have. In the UK MPB give a 6 month warranty so if you want to keep it, it is worth flagging this up with them to see if they will service it or swap it, so if you are going to keep/swap it I'd get a Sigma Dock if it supports that lens. They are great for fine tuning focus even with a zoom lens as you can tweak it at various focal lengths. I got mine from MPB UK for £20.

I have Sigma 500 F4 Sports. Now testing on Z8, but until few days used on D850. I shoot mostly birds and it's by far the best lens I've ever owned. I hope to get the same results on Z8 as I had on D850.
Far superior to Nikon 500mm PF. Whenever I can carry it, for bulk and weight, I carry it.
On D850 it took me quite a while to make adjustments with the Sigma base. A lot of back and forth and testing, until it was perfect. It is fast and very, very sharp. I love this lens!

Last edited:
Back