If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

frdjohns

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Sika deer are smaller than white-tail deer but exhibit behavior like that of elk. They live naturally throughout eastern Asia, including parts of Japan, Korea, Siberia, China, Vietnam, Taiwan. Sika deer have been introduced in New Zealand, Europe, Australia, and several US states, including Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. This little guy was on Assateague Island in Virginia. Sika eat the leaves of myrtle bushes, grasses, persimmons, shrubs, and other plants on Assateague Island. They even eat poison ivy. My wife and I were walking one of the trails when this guy suddenly appeared beside us, so close that I had to back up to get him in minimum focus distance. This guy was about the size of a medium-sized dog. He was not bothered by our presence, but was in thick weeds and only offered me a few quick, close shots before wandering into the thicker growth and out of sight.

Chincoteague-451.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
To all: sorry I am so late to respond.

Nice, and informing information too đź‘Ś
Thanks Charles. Was my first time seeing one, and had to educate myself.

Beautiful shot Fred.

Thanks Rick.

Very nice photograph of the little guy.

Thank you Woody.

Interesting information, and nice shot.

Appreciate it Louie. It's always cool to stumble across something new (at least to me) from time to time.

I learned something today, very nice capture

Chris S.

I had to look this species up after the shot, as I was not familiar with it. Thank you Chris.

You did well with the opportunity, Fred. And thanks for sharing the information on the critter.

Thanks Dan. I guess they are not hunted on the wildlife preserve, so it had no fear of us at all.

Nice shot, cute little feller.

Thanks Kirk.

Beautiful picture.
Even if it is a species that should not be resident there.

At least it does not seem to have caused any real harm, as other imported or invasive species have. They can eat all the poison ivy they want. :)