Simple carrying case for 500mm F/4

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple, inexpensive (under $100) carrying case for a 500mm F/4 with the hood reversed, lens foot attached, and FTZ attached (OAL around 18”)? I’m looking for a soft case…but also need it to be somewhat padded for protection.

I normally have it in my Gura Gear Kiboko 22L….but since acquiring the 180-600mm, I cannot carry both along with my other gear. I typically don’t take both lenses…but have some upcoming projects that will likely require both. I own the factory trunk case but have never used it. I would prefer not to use it because it is the opposite of “discreet”. I don’t want to advertise that I have expensive camera gear.

My last resort would be to simply buy a cheap duffel bag and put the trunk case inside…but that’s not ideal.

I’m open to any suggestions. (Bonus points if it’s something where I can also have my Z8 attached as well, but that’s not a requirement)

Look for a used Kinesis lens bag. I found mine used several years ago and love it. It fits a 500mm or 600mm lens + 1.4 tele + body....at least the one I have does. I believe mine has a deeper zippered lid that allows a body to be attached also. I think mine is a L511.....

Nikon makes a soft bag for all the big lenses. I think the number is the cl-l5. It came with the Z 800 pf and I know my local camera store likes to use it for rentals. It has a very solid hard base and it will stand on its own.

I like the bag a lot and it holds my 800mm pf with Nikon Z9 attached. It i a very secure and well-padded bag.

They want a lot for it if you buy it new. but you might find a used one somewhere.

The other thing is Think Tank makes some large solo lens cases you might check out. Those bags are also well padded but I don't know if they are big enough.

Finally Ruggard makes a solo lens backpack that is advertised as fitting a DSLR and 600 or 800mm lens. They have those at B H for $99. I know nothing about it but it might work.

I keep coming back to the CL-L5. Of all the bags I have seen it is my favorite for carrying a long lens and camera solo.

I think the Thinktank Lens Limo would suit - if you want a backpack style. Else the Nikon soft bag, perhaps with a Pelican-style outer shell?
I have used a Think Tank Glass Limo for years for my gripped D850 with Sigma 500mm f4 attached (hood reversed). It's a robust but compact rucksack that I purchased on eBay, You can squeeze in a few small essential alongside the lens e.g. TCs, cleaning kit, etc. and there is a pouch for batteries etc.

someone has the Nion cl-l2 case for sale in the marketplace for slightly over $100. I think this is the exact same case in size. You might want to check it out, I really think that is a great case/.

someone has the Nion cl-l2 case for sale in the marketplace for slightly over $100. I think this is the exact same case in size. You might want to check it out, I really think that is a great case/.
Thank you for the heads up….I actually just purchased that case! I always forget to check the Marketplace section for things like this.

Thanks to everyone for the input and help. I think the CL-L2 case will be exactly what I’m looking for.

When I got my first 500 f4 it came with a Ruggard backpack. Have kept it through several 500 f4 models since. I thought of replacing it a couple of times, but really...it's quite good and not expensive at all.

Back