Sitka, Alaska Humpback Whales

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In Sitka seeking Humpback Whales. Also got to watch the fishing boats in action yesterday, that was really fun to see and photograph. Here are a few shots. My little MacBook Air does not have enough power to import all of the many photos so picking through a few. These whales bubble-feed, all going down to the bottom together, stirring up the food, then coming up together to eat it. I have no idea how they get so close but stay so graceful in action.
Bubble feeding Sitka Alaska-4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Bubble feeding Sitka Alaska-5.jpg
Bubble feeding Sitka Alaska-6.jpg
Bubble feeding Sitka Alaska-0335.jpg
Bubble feeding Sitka Alaska-0490.jpg

Wow, those are amazing! And what an honor to be so close to such graceful, majestic creatures!
There was a couple of times when it got crazy...bubbles right beside the boat as a whale passed under the bow. Twice they came up right beside us, too close for a 100mm lens. They appear to be creatures of habit...circle around their territory, then dive, gracefully one at a time, then down for 2-3 minutes, then they pop up somewhere to feed. There is no way to tell where they will pop up, as far as I could tell. Boat ride canceled today due to bad weather, hoping tomorrow, the last day, pans out for a last boat ride.

In Sitka seeking Humpback Whales. Also got to watch the fishing boats in action yesterday, that was really fun to see and photograph. Here are a few shots. My little MacBook Air does not have enough power to import all of the many photos so picking through a few. These whales bubble-feed, all going down to the bottom together, stirring up the food, then coming up together to eat it. I have no idea how they get so close but stay so graceful in action.View attachment 58338View attachment 58339View attachment 58340View attachment 58341View attachment 58342
Awesome set. Doesn’t get any better than that, Well done👍👍👍👍

These are awesome shots. I've always wanted to get down there for the herring run. How about the eagles?
So far, not a lot of eagle action although we are seeing a few of them. They were not too interested yesterday in the herring. The tour guide I'm with does an eagle run, too, in Haines I think. I have not done that one.

In Sitka seeking Humpback Whales. Also got to watch the fishing boats in action yesterday, that was really fun to see and photograph. Here are a few shots. My little MacBook Air does not have enough power to import all of the many photos so picking through a few. These whales bubble-feed, all going down to the bottom together, stirring up the food, then coming up together to eat it. I have no idea how they get so close but stay so graceful in action.View attachment 58338View attachment 58339View attachment 58340View attachment 58341View attachment 58342
Great shots and amazing experience!

Wunderbar!

You nailed it, on the water to boot with D850/500Pf. Beautiful set of photos. You’ll have more I’m sure when home. Post more. Well done!

Wow, I am amazed that they are already back in Alaska. Great shots! You had much, much better luck than I did when I went whale watching in Sitka. Do you know if this is the normal season for them?

Back