Slot Empty Release lock....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I always keep the "Slot Empty Release Lock" option set to "LOCK"....!!!!

The other day I was going back and forth between taking photos of things to sell and posting FS ads.

TWICE I discovered that I had forgotten to take the CFe card out of the card reader and put it back in the camera! Yes.... "DUH" moments! LOL! And I had already moved things around, so I had to re-set up shots again.

However, in the past I would get a warning from the camera when I tried to take a photo and there was no card in the camera. The Z9 just left me blithely shoot away. No warning - at least that I noticed. And since the camera was on Silent shooting, I was none the wiser.

I guess the only answer is to have shutter sound turned on? (AND, of course - be more mindful of putting the card back in the camera! :oops: )

My Z9 will not shoot without card in one of the slots. Even if the empty release is not activated, no go unless it has a card

Last edited:
This happened to me as well Karen. The problem occurred prior to firmware 3.0's release. I wonder if there is a mini-bug that is dependent on how the camera is configured. I keep mine locked as well. Because of that one incident, I always check to see that I have cards in the slots before doing any shooting.

regards,
bruce

what do you have the visual indicator set to? guessing you just missed the indicator not indicating.
I checked d17 and didn't find an indicator for it. If there is an indicator for a locked camera due to no media card, where is it? But still, a tiny indicator in the monitor screen would not be as noticeable as a flashing red screen.

I checked d17 and didn't find an indicator for it. If there is an indicator for a locked camera due to no media card, where is it? But still, a tiny indicator in the monitor screen would not be as noticeable as a flashing red screen.
i didn't mean a locked camera indicator, i mean your normal shutter release indicator. my guess is it's subtle, and it didn't display, but you didn't notice because it's subtle?

There is a red indicator in upper left of the EVF when there's no card installed. A little icon that looks like a memory card with a ghost busters slash through it.
I've got my camera set to make the shutter sound. Without a card no sound. In addition to the red indicator mentioned above.

There is a red indicator in upper left of the EVF when there's no card installed. A little icon that looks like a memory card with a ghost busters slash through it.

I've got my camera set to make the shutter sound. Without a card no sound. In addition to the red indicator mentioned above.
Thanks, Dan! When I "know" my settings, I'm not in the habit of looking for new "pop ups"! LOL!

Guess when I'm doing something like that I should turn on the sound. ANOTHER them to remember.

Or just always make sure there isn't an -E- in the top display!

Thanks, Dan! When I "know" my settings, I'm not in the habit of looking for new "pop ups"! LOL!

Guess when I'm doing something like that I should turn on the sound. ANOTHER them to remember.
Could you have possibly not remembered that you had a card in slot #2 - one that you not normally have record images to? And your elusive images are recorded to #2? My Z9 (FW 3.0) shows the red icon clearly visible when there are no cards in either slot, and the shutter will not fire.

Yeah most of the time I shoot full manual mode. I decide on exposure and set everything before the action starts. So when I start shooting I don't pay attention to anything in the EVF other than the subject and the focus box. I double I'd have noticed the little red icon either had I not been specifically looking to see if there was indication of no card.

That's the dilemma. There's no shutter to fire. If you're in silent mode how do you know? Other than the little red icon...
you should have a release indicator. i think this is d14, indicating how you want to "see" that a release has happened. you can pick a variety of things, but they are all kind of subtle imo. i assume you don't see that indication if there was no release (due to the lock).

Back