Snail Kites

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Irap

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Some Snail Kite shots I've taken through the years.

Snail Kites fly and act like Northern Harriers. They hover low and slow, looking for their prey. They also have a similar marking to the Harrier, a white stripe above their tail on their back. In the distance they are very hard to tell them apart. Many times I can't tell until I get my images into my computer. We often see them in the same environment.

They are an endangered bird. They only eat snails. Here in Florida we have these huge Apple Snails that are an invasive species, but the Snail Kites love them.
Check out this article:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/14/1157862843/endangered-snail-kite-invasive-apple-snail-florida

Snail Kite perched among the Spanish Moss.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Snail Kite with a Snail-2.jpg

Snail Kite-5.jpg

Snail Kite female with a snail on a branch.jpg

Snail Kite 2.jpg

Snali Kite scooping snail from the marsh water.jpg

Snail Kite hovering over the marsh.jpg

Snail Kite female perched in the marsh.jpg

Last edited:
Some Snail Kite shots I've taken through the years.

Snail Kites fly and act like Northern Harriers. They hover low and slow, looking for their prey. They also have a similar marking to the Harrier, a white stripe above their tail on their back. In the distance they are very hard to tell them apart. Many times I can't tell until I get my images into my computer. We often see them in the same environment.

They are an endangered bird. They only eat snails. Here in Florida we have these huge Apple Snails that are an invasive species, but the Snail Kites love them.
Check out this article:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/14/1157862843/endangered-snail-kite-invasive-apple-snail-florida

View attachment 92036

View attachment 92042
View attachment 92038
View attachment 92041

View attachment 92039

View attachment 92040

View attachment 92043

View attachment 92037
Excellent set Ira!👍👍👍

Back