Snake River Sunset --- Grand Teton National Park

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
032 Sunset Snake River.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Probably one of the most photographed views in this part of the USA --- this is my humble attempt to do it justice ! Nikon D850 with Nikon 16-35mm @ 22mm. f11. ISO 64, 1/6 sec., on tripod. 12/09/18

Last edited:
Beautiful vista! Nice shot; love it. Is the shot level? And to my taste I'd crop to remove that centre foreground patch of submerged reeds.

Beautiful vista! Nice shot; love it. Is the shot level? And to my taste I'd crop to remove that centre foreground patch of submerged reeds.
Thanks Steven for your imput and suggestions --- I freely admit to being a landscape novice, spending most of my time (and money) concentrating on wildlife action shots, however this panarama was too stunning not to have had a crack at !

Last edited:
Absolutely outstanding! Wow
Thanks Bill --- Its always hard to do a great natural landscape justice, and with sunsets and/or sunrises the appearance, tone and texture of the light is changing so rapidly that its difficult to get the "perfect" shot --- and anyway "perfection" is a mindset in the eye of the beholder !

That is a beautiful photo!
Thanks Kathy G --- I am certain there must be loads of great landscapes in Canada, but I have only been to the BC seaboard fringe, where there were a LOT of trees-even so I got a couple of interesting pics which I will post soon.

Thanks Callie --- However, I would willingly trade 10 of these landscape shots (if I had them ) for your location, with access to so many great wildlife opportunities !

Thanks Callie --- However, I would willingly trade 10 of these landscape shots (if I had them ) for your location, with access to so many great wildlife opportunities !
Yes, it is so true! We had a poem at school Repos Aileurs ~ See the url https://steemit.com/poetry/@minnaloushe/repos-ailleurs
it explains so wonderfully our yearning for "the need" to be in the "other" place. I have it all the time. Robert W Service wrote wonderfully descriptive poems about the turn of 1900 about the Yukon and norther lights, eg The shooting of Dan McGrew. Man, it is as if you are right there in the snow and cold and beauty and mystery, and I do not even like snow ~ but the allure, it is there!

View attachment 2657

Probably one of the most photographed views in this part of the USA --- this is my humble attempt to do it justice ! Nikon D850 with Nikon 16-35mm @ 22mm. f11. ISO 64, 1/6 sec., on tripod. 12/09/18
Nice photo and I know exactly where you took this one. Grand Tetons is my favorite followed by Yellowstone NP.
Let me see if I can find my GT picture with still water and the Tetons in the background.

GT Moutains.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Photo was taken 4 years ago around 7 am. Not far from the dam for the river and with the Grand Tetons in the background, a terrific photo opportunity. The quite waters lasted about 30 to 45 minutes, so your got to be at the right place at the right time.

The lighting and composition in your image is outstanding. The mountain reflection in the river is so clear. Very nice capture for sure !!
Thanks DennisC ---Fortunately for me all the elements were in "sympatico" at the same time--I just had to squeeze the button !

Nice photo and I know exactly where you took this one. Grand Tetons is my favorite followed by Yellowstone NP.
Let me see if I can find my GT picture with still water and the Tetons in the background.
Thanks "Photobug SME"--- and for your Tetons pic, great mirror image ! What lens had you on for it ?

I'd like to share one of the Tetons also if it is annoying I will delete it. This is a scanned image of a 35mm photo I took in 1995. lol I wish I had the negative because I still like the image.
From the Idaho side.View attachment 3282
No problem Hut --- It's always interesting to see alternatives taken in the same area--to me it conveys beauty and bleakness in one shot; almost makes me shiver with cold as I feel I am taking the shot myself --- I totally understand your frustration about not having the negative--I have many images taken before I really got into photography, but only in the jpg format so its very limiting, however, Topaz has a good conversion tool (JPEG to RAW AI ) which means you can resurrect some images and re-import them into lightroom and have another crack at them with the more up to date post editing software.

Back