Snow in the Arizona Desert

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MrFotoFool

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Yesterday morning, March 2 (2023), those of us in Tucson, Arizona awoke to a rare snowfall. I new it was coming (tipped off by a photographer friend) and thankfully I am on vacation this week so I was able to take full advantage. I went up the hill from where I live in the Tucson Mountains to a popular pullout called Gates Pass Overlook (same place I took the rare fog in the desert I posted earlier). All shots with Nikon D850 and Nikon 70-200 f2.8E (my favorite and most used lens), plus remote release and Really Right Stuff tripod.

Shot #1: A panoramic composite of six vertical images. It's my least favorite, but it shows a wider view of the hillside for reference.
Shot #2: A focus stack of nine images. Also not my favorite, but it's fun to see a prickly pear cactus draped in snow.
Shot #3: A focus stack of six images at f2.8 . I use this instead of a smaller aperture to get all the layers of bush and two main cacti in focus while still keeping the background soft.
Shot #4: A single shot, camera JPEG that I haven't processed YET (but I will, in reference to the "badge of honor" thread). My favorites are 3 and 4.

Tucson Mountain Park pano 42051thru42056.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Tucson Mountain Park 42083thru42091 focus stack.jpg

Tucson Mountain Park 42164thru42169 focus stack.jpg

Tucson Mountain Park 42059.JPG

Yesterday morning, March 2 (2023), those of us in Tucson, Arizona awoke to a rare snowfall. I new it was coming (tipped off by a photographer friend) and thankfully I am on vacation this week so I was able to take full advantage. I went up the hill from where I live in the Tucson Mountains to a popular pullout called Gates Pass Overlook (same place I took the rare fog in the desert I posted earlier). All shots with Nikon D850 and Nikon 70-200 f2.8E (my favorite and most used lens), plus remote release and Really Right Stuff tripod.

Shot #1: A panoramic composite of six vertical images. It's my least favorite, but it shows a wider view of the hillside for reference.
Shot #2: A focus stack of nine images. Also not my favorite, but it's fun to see a prickly pear cactus draped in snow.
Shot #3: A focus stack of six images at f2.8 . I use this instead of a smaller aperture to get all the layers of bush and two main cacti in focus while still keeping the background soft.
Shot #4: A single shot, camera JPEG that I haven't processed YET (but I will, in reference to the "badge of honor" thread). My favorites are 3 and 4.

View attachment 56058
View attachment 56059
View attachment 56060
View attachment 56061
Love this version

Back