Snowy at Sunset

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Normally prefer a subject frontlit not backlit, but the sun was setting behind this snowy last week as he flew at me. I think it turned out OK, but appreciate any suggestions.

Sad footnote, the snowy was killed today by a passing train; he didn't fly in time as a train approached.

Hope some return next winter, he was just about to likely depart to go further north.

z snowy sunset 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yeah, the bright white spots in the bg don't help it any, they're a bit distracting. Maybe just tone down the white/contrast/highlight a notch so that the spots and the wing on the right aren't quite as bright. Other than that, it's a pretty nice shot. Sad to hear about its demise, it was a very pretty creature.

I like how the diagonals of the wings line up with the corners. Maybe I'd like more room overall. The main critique would be the blown out parts on the wings. At least viewing on phone I get no details. You might see if it's recoverable from the raw.

I agree with @ssheipel, gutting news. And even closer to home as I now know where you took this image. I was there this weekend and people were talking about the snowy that got hit by a train. So very sad.

On that note, I like the shot, Padre!

Thanks, I got different angles of the snowy. He was amazingly unconcerned with trains as hed perch on the crossing sign as a train whizzed by behind him; I think the tracks had seeds and were a spot he liked for vole hunting. Such a nice bird.

Back