Snowy in lousy light

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Was happy to see this snowy, though light was rough, and I could have easily slowed down the shutter speed more.

Nikon Z9, 1/1250, f 5.6, ISO 7200.

z snowy 4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A beauty indeed, great opportunity. As Dave said, I also wonder if it could be warmed a bit, and possibly brightened up a notch? It looks a little underexposed to my eye. I see loads of potential for gentle tweaking. What do you think?

Nice shot, but color is off. Have you created a custom camera color profile for the camera? Looks like the blue from shadows has tinted the image.

There is nothing better than a Snowy Owl. I think working with the white balance to remove the blue would improve the color. It's wonderful image....just needs a little tweaking.

Since you put it in the critique section, I'll mention the white balance is off, easy fix in Lightroom or whatever you use. Also I'm not sure about the halo around the body, maybe too much on the sharpening slider.

I like the original image. I am not completely sure that the white balance is too far off. If the light was dim as Paul originally suggested, it might well be a bit blue. I found my Z9 rendered things a bit cool for my taste using Auto ISO, so I changed it to preserve warm colour.
It would be nice to see but it would not surprise me if the image as shown was true to life.

Last edited:
What lens were you using and could you post the original for comparison please. Also would like to know if this was hand held or a tripod/monopod shot.❔

Last edited:
Back