So, I tried the Copper Wire and Alligator Clip thing...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

StarTracker50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In my request for Ideas on keeping my subject from blowing in the breeze, a lot of you responded with ideas. Thank you again. Many of you suggested the Plamp, but being a cheapskate I decided to try the Copper wire, and alligator clip route. I must have much more wind than the kind person that suggested this method. It slowed down the movement, but did not eliminate it. But the pictures turned out mostly decent between gusts. So, the Plamp is on order! :p:p:p

NZ8_4274-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Interesting, close up Zinnias have flowers inside flowers!

NZ8_4277.jpg

And some have petals inside petals!

NZ8_4288-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Little buggy came to rest? Feast?

Nice work.

I suggest caution with anything that holds or tries to hold plants in place in strong winds.
I have seen plants damaged irreparably by usage of such devices being poorly located on the plant.
In one case I saw an orchid that was decapitated from the scape before the clamp had even been put in place, this was due to having to hold the plant to attach a clamp in the first place.

Many orchids I photograph are listed on the Threatened Species List - Caladenia caudata as an example, so great care is needed around the plants and their locations.

I personally only use wind breaks cobbled together with various lightweight plastic sheets and/or kneeling mats all held in place by another person.

I suggest caution with anything that holds or tries to hold plants in place in strong winds.
Thank you, and you are absolutely correct! Which is why the Plamp is so incredible. The "clip" that holds the stem is not spring loaded but designed to hold a stem with practically zero pressure. Wind breaks are an excellent idea, as long as they don't blow into the plant and damage it. The operative word for all of us, is leave everything as you find it. Or the physician's credo: First do no harm.

Back