Solution for hiking with two heavy-ish camera/lens combos?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

janzin

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Here's the situation. I'm heading on a birding and puma tracking trip in Patagonia in November. I will be using primarily the Z9 + 600PF for the birding but for the puma tracking...which is on foot, over sometimes tricky terrain...I would also like to carry both the Z8 + 100-400Z and the Z9/600PF. Sometimes the pumas can come close; sometimes they are really distant (Please don't suggest the 180-600 :)--I know it would be perfect, and we do have a copy, but DH will be using it, and I prefer my 600PF for birding in general.)

So my dilemma is how to carry both--plus also binoculars! If I put one in a backpack it's not really quickly accessible. I tried putting the Z8 + 100-400 in a Thinktank Retrospective 7 bag which I own, but boy that bag is heavy, and it's a pretty tight fit, and doesn't fit with the hood on.

I'm thinking maybe a holster bag for the Z8/100-400? I have so many bags I hate buying yet another but nothing I have fits this odd occasion. Any other suggestions?

That sounds like quite a load to hike with…especially without keeping one combo in a backpack. My initial thought would be to have your Z9/600pf on a shoulder strap with immediate access for shooting. Then have a simple “messenger” style bag on the opposite side/shoulder for the Z8/100-400.

For the binoculars, that all depends on the size. If they are relatively compact, you could probably fit them in the messenger bag as well (or have something to hold them on the outside).

Not sure if this would work to hold the Z8 and bino's. You could then use a Black Rapid or Peak Design strap to carry the Z9 and 600pf. I don't know anything about opticsplanet either; their site came up on a google search. Good luck. Ken

I second the Cotton Carrier. I used this combination last January in Yellowstone. Z9/600 PF in front and Z8/70-200 on side. One of the best ways I've ever carried this combination would do it again in a minute.

I've hiked with my Z9 in my cotton carrier and in a pack I've had other lenses (e.g. macro 105 plus the 500 pf) or another camera (D6) and 500.

Back