Solved: (a control ring was the culprit) Floating f stop on my Nikon Z8 w/ firmware 2.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Don L Turner

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Ever since my Nikon z8 was upgraded to firmware version 2.0, the f stop seems to change on its own. With my 100 – 400 mm lens and my 1.4 teleconverter, it can be from f/6.3 to f/8, But from time to time, with no input from me, the f stop will change to a dramatically higher setting, as high as f/45, as confirmed visually on the camera and in Lightroom.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Is there a known solution? Do I have a setting wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Don

Do you have a control ring on the lens set to adjust exposure?

What settings do you use for shooting? Do you use Auto ISO....if so what min and max settings? What metering system are you using......Matrix or ??

Are the images coming out over or underexposed?

Do you have a control ring on the lens set to adjust exposure?

What settings do you use for shooting? Do you use Auto ISO....if so what min and max settings? What metering system are you using......Matrix or ??

Are the images coming out over or underexposed?
A control ring is the problem -- the lens control ring. It must have got changed in the upgrade. I had it set to Off but it was changed somehow. I fixed it. Thank you.

In addition to above I'd ask what auto setting are you using (shutter priority, auto iso, etc) and what limits are set for iso or minimum shutter speed.

Back