Some lightning shots (a year of waiting)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been wanting to get some lightning shots so I researched some of the advanced shutter releases out there.

I decided to pick up the Pluto trigger, mostly since it was one of the least expensive options. I've been waiting about a year and a half to get a decent lightning storm nearby.

I spent some of that time using the trigger here and there to get familiar with some of its functions. I got short notice on this storm, prepped the camera gear and went to the end of our driveway about a half mile away from our house. There is a decent clearing from a tornado a couple years ago.

The trigger mostly just worked. I just had to set the sensitivity of it. I took a shot in the dark for the camera settings...(it was also about 2am so there might be a joke there)

I used my D4 and a Tokina 11-20mm set at 20mm, it's a DX format lens that makes a large enough image circle to cover the FX from about 17-20mm. (this lens has been a great buy, we've gotten many stellar shots with it and it has more than paid for itself)

I opened the hatch of our car, setup the tripod, sat on the bumper held an umbrella over what I could and let 'er rip. There were a few *moments* where I was questioning my choice to be out there without giving much thought what was going to happen when ALL the rain got to me...

I got soaked, camera got a bit of water on it (probably WAY more than I imagine too!) And I learned a TON about what to do next time.

I'm not the biggest fan of sitting at my PC and editing so I usually just spend a few minutes making thing a little more pleasing. One shot that I KNEW was going to be overexposed ended up being the most dramatic of the bunch. I spent some time with it but couldn't get a look I like so I asked my girlfriend to take a shot at it. (she's been doing photography and working in photoshop for about 20 years)

And those are my fingers on the side, I jumped a good bit and apparently threw my arms about. I'll own up to that! I felt it added to the drama of the shot in the end so we left it in!

bolt edit1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_3612-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_3721-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Very nice, I'm sill waiting for a thunderstorm with a lot of lightning to approach from a direction that allows for good composite images, so far all of them have been on the other side of one ridge or another -- a penalty for living in hilly country.

Back