If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DRwyoming

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I've got a biologist friend that talks about 'Dirt Time' or the value of getting out into the field and looking around. I do walk around with my camera gear quite a bit to see what I can find or to discover things like nest and burrow locations but it's pretty common when going out with one subject in mind to find other things along the way. Every time this happens I'm reminded that a lot of the luck of finding wildlife subjects comes down to getting out and keeping my eyes and ears open.

Here's some recent images that weren't at all expected when I headed out the door with my camera gear.

I headed out to photograph some grouse that I'd been watching for a few days when I came across this Marmot sunning on the rocks with the last remnants of snow clinging to the hillside. I liked the look he gave me but mostly his bushy tail and those claws.
Z81_5331--20240601.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Was out the other morning photographing a family of Great Horned Owls including three fledglings that were hanging out on low branches. When they roosted up high in tangled branches for the day I headed back towards the car to get to work but on the way came across this Red Winged Blackbird just before he took off and flew past me.

Z81_1332--20240606.jpg

Same trail, after spending time with the same owls on a different and drippy morning as I headed back to the car

Spotted Sandpiper
Z81_7093--20240603-web.jpg

Yellow Headed Blackbird
Z81_7633--20240603.jpg

Visiting some other owls (yeah, I look for owls a lot :)) and on the drive home came across a colony of Cliff Swallows on some roadside cliffs along a dirt backroad.

Z81_1237--20240524-web.jpg

A bit later on that same day I came across this Yellow Rumped Warbler who stopped long enough to give me a look and a portrait.
Z81_8077--20240508-web.jpg

I thought I'd run out of useable light the other night when shooting in darker trees but took the risk on these two low light images on the way back to the car when I came across a few more willing subjects.

Muskrat
Z81_8561--20240603-web.jpg

We see a lot of Mule Deer around here but Whitetails aren't that common so even in the fading light I took a chance on this shot of a young Whitetail buck just developing his antlers.
Z81_8447--20240603-web.jpg

Just a reminder to myself that getting out there is still the most important part and you never know what you'll find...

I've got a biologist friend that talks about 'Dirt Time' or the value of getting out into the field and looking around. I do walk around with my camera gear quite a bit to see what I can find or to discover things like nest and burrow locations but it's pretty common when going out with one subject in mind to find other things along the way. Every time this happens I'm reminded that a lot of the luck of finding wildlife subjects comes down to getting out and keeping my eyes and ears open.

Here's some recent images that weren't at all expected when I headed out the door with my camera gear.

I headed out to photograph some grouse that I'd been watching for a few days when I came across this Marmot sunning on the rocks with the last remnants of snow clinging to the hillside. I liked the look he gave me but mostly his bushy tail and those claws.
View attachment 90845

Was out the other morning photographing a family of Great Horned Owls including three fledglings that were hanging out on low branches. When they roosted up high in tangled branches for the day I headed back towards the car to get to work but on the way came across this Red Winged Blackbird just before he took off and flew past me.

View attachment 90846

Same trail, after spending time with the same owls on a different and drippy morning as I headed back to the car

Spotted Sandpiper
View attachment 90847

Yellow Headed Blackbird
View attachment 90848

Visiting some other owls (yeah, I look for owls a lot :)) and on the drive home came across a colony of Cliff Swallows on some roadside cliffs along a dirt backroad.

View attachment 90849

A bit later on that same day I came across this Yellow Rumped Warbler who stopped long enough to give me a look and a portrait.
View attachment 90850

I thought I'd run out of useable light the other night when shooting in darker trees but took the risk on these two low light images on the way back to the car when I came across a few more willing subjects.

Muskrat
View attachment 90851

We see a lot of Mule Deer around here but Whitetails aren't that common so even in the fading light I took a chance on this shot of a young Whitetail buck just developing his antlers.
View attachment 90852

Just a reminder to myself that getting out there is still the most important part and you never know what you'll find...
Great set Dave. Totally agree.

View attachment 90845

View attachment 90846

Spotted Sandpiper
View attachment 90847

Yellow Headed Blackbird
View attachment 90848

View attachment 90849

View attachment 90850

Muskrat
View attachment 90851

View attachment 90852

Those are the best days. Let nature dictate the theme for the day. Well done

Beautiful images. I too find that if I stay aware and open even if I don’t find my intended subject something often appears.
Great set of images.
Indeed, you just never know what you might find. Great shots that demonstrate you should never underestimate luck.
These are all great, but that Marmot shot is so very good, sir!
Superb photos!
Exceptional photos!
Thanks everybody!