Sony A1 video stabilization

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

FB101

On another thread we were discussing the various stabilization settings for video in the Sony A1 and I figured I post a really quick movie showing the differences I was referring to.

Please keep in mind the following:
1. I am just beginning shooting video so there is probably a ton that I am doing wrong
2. Just sharing my learning journey which is just starting, not professing I know any absolute truth on any of those questions
3. This is out of camera footage - unedited (except for 1 clip where I applied the in software digital stabilizer and is labeled as such), ungraded (S Cinetone profile which is good enough ungraded)
4. This footage was never meant to be seen, just my experimentations to learn how to improve so don't expect Nat Geo imagery
5. All shot with A1 and 200-600

That said, a few observations (many being quite obvious)

1. Focal length matters - footage is smoother at 400mm than 600mm
2. Wind matters A LOT at 600mm :) (duh)
3. Monopod helps a lot but tripod is better (not shown here but I tested that last year)
4. At 600mm handheld, lens stabilizer + Ibis is not enough
5. Adding in camera digital stabilizer helps a lot but still not smooth enough for me
6. Optical stabilization (lens and camera) + digital stabilization + monopod is starting to look good even at 4k30p
7. Optical stabilization (lens and camera) + digital stabilization + monopod is looking best at 4k 120p slowed 4 times (see the heron clip)
8. The digital stabilizer in iMovie is fairly rudimentary it seems and although it smooths things out I am not sure it's that useful (better tools exist I am sure)

Looking forward to any thoughts and suggestions on how to get my footage to the next level (besides carrying a tripod, which I will do for video ;) )

On another thread we were discussing the various stabilization settings for video in the Sony A1 and I figured I post a really quick movie showing the differences I was referring to.

Please keep in mind the following:
1. I am just beginning shooting video so there is probably a ton that I am doing wrong
2. Just sharing my learning journey which is just starting, not professing I know any absolute truth on any of those questions
3. This is out of camera footage - unedited (except for 1 clip where I applied the in software digital stabilizer and is labeled as such), ungraded (S Cinetone profile which is good enough ungraded)
4. This footage was never meant to be seen, just my experimentations to learn how to improve so don't expect Nat Geo imagery
5. All shot with A1 and 200-600

That said, a few observations (many being quite obvious)

1. Focal length matters - footage is smoother at 400mm than 600mm
2. Wind matters A LOT at 600mm :) (duh)
3. Monopod helps a lot but tripod is better (not shown here but I tested that last year)
4. At 600mm handheld, lens stabilizer + Ibis is not enough
5. Adding in camera digital stabilizer helps a lot but still not smooth enough for me
6. Optical stabilization (lens and camera) + digital stabilization + monopod is starting to look good even at 4k30p
7. Optical stabilization (lens and camera) + digital stabilization + monopod is looking best at 4k 120p slowed 4 times (see the heron clip)
8. The digital stabilizer in iMovie is fairly rudimentary it seems and although it smooths things out I am not sure it's that useful (better tools exist I am sure)

Looking forward to any thoughts and suggestions on how to get my footage to the next level (besides carrying a tripod, which I will do for video ;) )

Did you keep shutter angle constants as you switched among framecrstes and what effect did that have on stabilization and blur?

I went down the video route 10+years ago as well as DSLR . Tried doing video with a Nikon D810 not very successfully as well. one problem is which lens to use etc ,
As I said I have been doling video work for some time and found ,and now use, the ideal camcorder. no more worry about have i got the right lens- camera settings etc etc. Distance now no problem either. Also can get excellent stills from the replay which it allows to be done easily

example (hand held)

you just can't get a steady smooth zoom like this taken with optical zoom not the digital it can do as well, you are well stuffed trying this with DSLR camera .

I took this to Norway- farao islands and Iceland a few weeks ago and absolutely staggered at the 4K quality on a 4K monitor
so what is it ? It is the Panasonic HC-X1500 I also bought the handle, stablisation handheld is about the best I have ever come across with whatever i have used in the past

When shooting wildlife at long focal lengths in the great outdoors my experience is that electronic and mechanical IBIS and lens stabilization are of very limited benefit. The single most important thing is to use a high quality and relatively heavy tripod and fluid head that's capable of handling 2x-3x the weight of your rig. I also rely on post processing stabilization when I can even though it results in a loss of resolution and the clips need to be short with limited motion for best results. Using slow motion also tends to smooth things out. But it all starts with a solid platform.

This video was taken with Z9 + 500 PF & taken hand held by my wife in Masaimara from a safari vehicle
Compared to A1 ( which I use) Z9 has remarkable stabilisation for video & my investment in it for video has paid off
I am using post processing software to stabilise videos shot with A1 with good results though some amount of cropping takes place

Compared to A1 ( which I use) Z9 has remarkable stabilisation for video & my investment in it for video has paid off
I am using post processing software to stabilise videos shot with A1 with good results though some amount of cropping takes place
May I ask what you think of Z9's video AF vs. the A1? I know the Z9 supports animal eye-AF and the A1 does not, but after watching dozens and dozens of Z9 wildlife videos my impression is that the A1 is "stickier" when it comes to subject tracking.

I have recently started shooting video with Nikon Z8 (with 400f4.5 and 1.4 or 2 tc) and Sony A1 with 200-600mm. Both hand held. The Z8 is superior to A1 with respect to image stabilisation. Hope I am not doing something wrong.

It would be helpful if people mention the program they use in post for image stabilization. I too have taken a bunch of video since I got my Z9 and now Z8. One thing that helps for handheld video is to shoot at 120fps, the movements somehow don't seem as bad. I have been using just iMovie to stabilize in post but have wondered if DaVinci, etc would be better. Obviously if one can use a tripod, that is the best but not always possible. Here are a couple handheld videos I shot on boats:

It would be helpful if people mention the program they use in post for image stabilization. I too have taken a bunch of video since I got my Z9 and now Z8. One thing that helps for handheld video is to shoot at 120fps, the movements somehow don't seem as bad. I have been using just iMovie to stabilize in post but have wondered if DaVinci, etc would be better. Obviously if one can use a tripod, that is the best but not always possible. Here are a couple handheld videos I shot on boats:

In Premiere, Warp Stabilizer or for more serious work, bring into After Effects (directly from Premiere) for a bunch more tools.

Back