Sony A6700

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For the whole 20+ years I shot Nikon cameras I always had one APSC body. Two years ago, I switched entirely over to Sony and have contemplated on and off getting another APSC body. I have contemplated getting a Fuji X100 and even considered getting another Nikon Z50, which I owned for a while. It seemed to make more sense to stay within the Sony ecosystem, so this week I pulled the trigger and bought a A6700. I have shot extensively the last four days with this camera and various lenses and all I have to say is this camera is nothing short of amazing for the price. I really wanted a smaller body for traveling and for days that I did not want to carry a full frame set up. I have tried this Camera on subjects ranging from macro to birds in flight and it is just astonishing how well the auto focus is on a camera in this price range. I would definitely give it a 9.5 out of 10 and the only reason I don’t give a 10 is, I wish it had one more customizable button. I tested it out today with a 70–200 shooting swallows in flight and it is absolutely amazing how well this camera will locked on and sticks like glue to birds in flight for a $1400 camera. I loved my D500 when I shot Nikon as well as the D7200 and various other crop frame cameras I owned. I’m definitely not planning on selling my full frame A1 or A7RV but this little Camera is definitely going to get plenty use and I highly recommend it to anyone in the Sony ecosystem that wants a small travel body that is very capable. Not only are the images fantastic with his camera, The video capability is equally as fantastic because it uses the same sensor as the FX 30 video camera. Most of the time in general I think Sony is way overpriced for its products but this is one product that I can surely say as well worth the money.

For the whole 20+ years I shot Nikon cameras I always had one APSC body. Two years ago, I switched entirely over to Sony and have contemplated on and off getting another APSC body. I have contemplated getting a Fuji X100 and even considered getting another Nikon Z50, which I owned for a while. It seemed to make more sense to stay within the Sony ecosystem, so this week I pulled the trigger and bought a A6700. I have shot extensively the last four days with this camera and various lenses and all I have to say is this camera is nothing short of amazing for the price. I really wanted a smaller body for traveling and for days that I did not want to carry a full frame set up. I have tried this Camera on subjects ranging from macro to birds in flight and it is just astonishing how well the auto focus is on a camera in this price range. I would definitely give it a 9.5 out of 10 and the only reason I don’t give a 10 is, I wish it had one more customizable button. I tested it out today with a 70–200 shooting swallows in flight and it is absolutely amazing how well this camera will locked on and sticks like glue to birds in flight for a $1400 camera. I loved my D500 when I shot Nikon as well as the D7200 and various other crop frame cameras I owned. I’m definitely not planning on selling my full frame A1 or A7RV but this little Camera is definitely going to get plenty use and I highly recommend it to anyone in the Sony ecosystem that wants a small travel body that is very capable. Not only are the images fantastic with his camera, The video capability is equally as fantastic because it uses the same sensor as the FX 30 video camera. Most of the time in general I think Sony is way overpriced for its products but this is one product that I can surely say as well worth the money.

I hear this again and again. The 6xxx was always a stellar line, and if I were in the market for a "travel" body, this would be it.

I hear this again and again. The 6xxx was always a stellar line, and if I were in the market for a "travel" body, this would be it.
It truly is a great camera for the price and even if someone on a tight budget has this and a couple zooms they would be set for just about anything. It has several features the A1 doesn’t have lol

I tried the A6xxx series at various points in time and found them kind of meh. Good feature set let down by poor ergonomics.

Then I had the chance to try the A6700 about a month ago with the 11mm f1.8 and 15mm f1.4 lenses and I was flabbergasted ... The ergonomics are on point, the build quality feels great, performance was top level.
And the lens line-up for E-mount (and FE-mount) seems the most versatile in the APS-C realm.

Three things stopped me from dropping both my Nikon DSLR and m43rds kits for a Sony A6700 and assorted lenses:
- single card slot (probably could live with that).
- pedestrian EVF
- only 11 fps
As a mostly wildlife shooter, once you experience 25+fps with blackout-free high res EVFs, the A6700 feels a big step backwards....

I tried the A6xxx series at various points in time and found them kind of meh. Good feature set let down by poor ergonomics.

Then I had the chance to try the A6700 about a month ago with the 11mm f1.8 and 15mm f1.4 lenses and I was flabbergasted ... The ergonomics are on point, the build quality feels great, performance was top level.
And the lens line-up for E-mount (and FE-mount) seems the most versatile in the APS-C realm.

Three things stopped me from dropping both my Nikon DSLR and m43rds kits for a Sony A6700 and assorted lenses:
- pedestrian EVF
- only 11 fps
As a mostly wildlife shooter, once you experience 25+fps with blackout-free high res EVFs, the A6700 feels a big step backwards....
Like I said I have the A1 and A7RV and I honestly don’t even notice the viewfinder being an issue. I hardly ever go beyond 15fps shooting anything. You’re right about the ergonomics, it fits like a glove. As far as the card slot, in the nearly 25 years I’ve been shooting I’ve never had a card fail. Could happen tomorrow but for now been lucky I suppose.

- pedestrian EVF
- only 11 fps
So the 15mm 1.4 is one I hear a lot about. It seems like it’s most likely one of they’re best APSC lenses. What were your thoughts? I’m just using my full frame primes for now which are very small and lightweight. It even feels well balanced with the 100-400 and 70-200. I haven’t tried anything larger than that but plan on trying it with the 600 prime to see how it performs. I was shocked at how well it tracked swallows with the 70-200, I mean it stuck like glue once focus was acquired.

I've been looking for a D500 alternative for my Sony system but the A6700 came short for me - primarily the EVF but also the fact that I can't set it up like my A1 so it's not a seamless switch between the two. It's got a lot of qualities for other applications, especially the AF that you mentioned, but right now, when I want a smaller body, I just remove the grip on the A1.
It's probably my biggest gripe with Sony, every camera is either compromised in a meaningful way (except the A1 obviously) or requires a very different shooting approach (A1 and A9iii now offer the same handling which is great). Hopefully they keep offering more cameras with one handling experience - it will make shooting the "system" a lot more pleasant.

I loved the D5 / D850 / D500 series because you could switch across with minimal differences in how to shoot. Same with the Z9/Z8 (but no matching APSC yet).

I've been looking for a D500 alternative for my Sony system but the A6700 came short for me - primarily the EVF but also the fact that I can't set it up like my A1 so it's not a seamless switch between the two. It's got a lot of qualities for other applications, especially the AF that you mentioned, but right now, when I want a smaller body, I just remove the grip on the A1.
It's probably my biggest gripe with Sony, every camera is either compromised in a meaningful way (except the A1 obviously) or requires a very different shooting approach (A1 and A9iii now offer the same handling which is great). Hopefully they keep offering more cameras with one handling experience - it will make shooting the "system" a lot more pleasant.

I loved the D5 / D850 / D500 series because you could switch across with minimal differences in how to shoot. Same with the Z9/Z8 (but no matching APSC yet).
For me already owning the A7R5 I can set it up pretty similar to that so it makes a big difference in my case. Sometimes going back and fourth between the A1 and A7RV gets a little confusing because of not having the top dial and the A1 not having full time DMF. I have my AEL button on the A1 set to manual focus hold and the same button on the RV set to subject detection toggle. Really there’s no way to get two cameras set up absolutely identical, especially in Sony‘s ecosystem unless you own two same bodies at least that’s been my experience. Whenever I had two A1 bodies, it was certainly simpler to grab one after the other, but sometimes I have to think a second now shooting between these two or three now for that matter.

Back