Sony FE90mm f2.8 macro G OSS trouble with focus

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm a totally new Sony cameras and not so knowledgeable of photography in general. I just bought a Sony A7 iii and a Sony FE90mm macro lens. I've tried every setting I can think of but am getting terribly blurred photos from even a foot away. Getting really close didn't work well either. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a totally new Sony cameras and not so knowledgeable of photography in general. I just bought a Sony A7 iii and a Sony FE90mm macro lens. I've tried every setting I can think of but am getting terribly blurred photos from even a foot away. Getting really close didn't work well either. Any help would be appreciated.
I’ve had that lens 1.5 years and the results are amazing. Probably the sharpest lens I’ve ever shot with. Is the any chance you’ve slid the collar into manual focus? Hate to ask but I’ve done this myself a few times

Anything is possible in my world...lol but I checked that. I did try to use the manual to focus on my beads, then set it to auto focus so I could take the shot and it didn't work. Remote shooting help so very slightly. My depth of field is so shallow that 2 tiny earring beads side by side, one is blurry, taken straight down on them. I'm going to set the camera on auto and see if it's any better. Update. focusing no better.

Last edited:
Anything is possible in my world...lol but I checked that. I did try to use the manual to focus on my beads, then set it to auto focus so I could take the shot and it didn't work. Remote shooting help so very slightly. My depth of field is so shallow that 2 tiny earring beads side by side, one is blurry, taken straight down on them. I'm going to set the camera on auto and see if it's any better. Update. focusing no better.
Are you getting focus confirmation meaning the focus area turning green?

No, it passes the good focus by and turns super blurry.
What I normally do I’d the lens struggles is manually focus to get it close then switch back to autofocus. Also how close are you trying to get? The lens as many other macro lenses does suffer from a degree of focus breathing especially whenever you get to minimum focus distance. One other question are you in afc or afs for autofocus. I always use afc for just about everything.

I think you’re most likely experiencing focus breathing which is quiet common in macro lenses but can be lessened by grabbing manual focus if the lens is struggling. Again, like I said, in the original post that lens is the sharpest lens I have ever had on a camera bar none. It is a little quirky, but every macro lens I’ve ever owned over the years has behaved the same way.

Are you using a tripod?

yes. No help with the shake...and a remote which I got yesterday.

How sturdy is your tripod? Lightweight ones tend to be flimsy too. Does it flex if you put some pressure on it with your hand? If it has a centre column have it at the lowest position - ideally right on the shoulders where the legs attach. If it has more than three section legs try not using the lowest/thinnest ones (you are using the top/thickest ones if you are shooting below (say) waist height, aren't you?).

Are you using magnified live view to focus?

Are you getting any images in focus, at any distance?
Not 100%. I'm continuing to play with settings and tripod angles/distances.
bad1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
better1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

How sturdy is your tripod? Lightweight ones tend to be flimsy too. Does it flex if you put some pressure on it with your hand? If it has a centre column have it at the lowest position - ideally right on the shoulders where the legs attach. If it has more than three section legs try not using the lowest/thinnest ones (you are using the top/thickest ones if you are shooting below (say) waist height, aren't you?).

Yes, waist high. Tripod is decent. I would think that with the remote, that shouldn't be an issue?

Since I don't know what magnified live view, I'd say no LOL, but I'm now starting to use AUTO setting until I get the focus thing under control

You need to use small apertures which will require longer shutter speeds and/or higher ISO's. Flash is also an option. What are your camera settings? Don't use Auto as the camera doesn't know what you want. Try aperture priority using f/11 or f/16 and an ISO of 800, or so, and see where your shutter speed is at. If the shutter speed is quite long, make sure the tripod is very steady. You'll not be able to get both earrings in complete focus because the depth of field is very shallow at close distances even at f/16. Also, lenses have a minimum focus distance so don't get closer than that. (It's about 11" from the sensor plane with the 90mm.)

Last edited:
Those look like what I'd expect with a macro lens, extremely thin dof until you stop down and focus stack

I would use a depth of field calculator to understand what's going on more if you don't have a good grasp on it.
No grasp on anything to do with photography. I make clay pieces...LOL.
You need to use small apertures which will require longer shutter speeds and/or higher ISO's. Flash is also an option. What are your camera settings? Don't use Auto as the camera doesn't know what you want. Try aperture priority using f/11 or f/16 and an ISO of 800, or so, and see where your shutter speed is at. If the shutter speed is quite long, make sure the tripod is very steady. You'll not be able to get both earrings in complete focus because the depth of field is very shallow at close distances even at f/16. Also, lenses have a minimum focus distance so don't get closer than that. (It's about 11" from the sensor plane with the 90mm.)
Super helpful to get numbers for settings. I'll try that. Thanks so much

Maybe try setting a newspaper (or something like) on an easel and shoot that to make sure you can get a sharp picture on a simpler, 2D object. This would give you more confidence that the camera was working correctly.

Shooting these earrings can be quite difficult, depending on what effect with lighting, depth-of-focus and scene you are trying to achieve. Exactly where the camera is focusing, as distinct from where you want/hope it is focusing, can be an issue with 3D objects with such a shallow focus. You might need to manually focus to achieve the effect you desire.

Back