SONY LENS QUESTION

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi -
I have the SONY 200 - 600 but am finding it a bit heavy for extended handheld shooting. I'm thinking of swapping it for the 100 - 400 & 1.4 TC. How much reach will I be losing exactly? (Math was never my thing...)
Thanks
Richard

Personally... I'm not a fan of the 1.4x on the 100-400 or even on the 200-600... maybe it's my copy but I think the loss in sharpness isn't worth having it on the lenses. And as mentioned, the loss of light and increase in ISO. Just my $.02 :) Some people find the difference negligible.

The 200-600 is heavy to shoot all day ... hand-held. Have you given a monopod a try? If I'm out and about it's my solution for dealing with the weight of the lens.

Steve covers a Wimberly monopod head...
I purchased one and love using it with the 200-600... I'll even use it with the 100-400 if I'm going to be stationary for a period of time.

Hatch

Personally... I'm not a fan of the 1.4x on the 100-400 or even on the 200-600... maybe it's my copy but I think the loss in sharpness isn't worth having it on the lenses. And as mentioned, the loss of light and increase in ISO. Just my $.02 :) Some people find the difference negligible.

The 200-600 is heavy to shoot all day ... hand-held. Have you given a monopod a try? If I'm out and about it's my solution for dealing with the weight of the lens.

Steve covers a Wimberly monopod head...
I purchased one and love using it with the 200-600... I'll even use it with the 100-400 if I'm going to be stationary for a period of time.

Hatch
Thanks fo the tip!

Back