Sony to Nikon Move ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i think those are likely to be two different things. if a zoom, it's going to be a big heavy 120-300 f/2.8 (or maybe 100-300).

and that means they'd probably go for a lighter prime.

my guess is they'll do both, but no idea about timing.

the f-mount 300 f/2.8 is pretty stale, so seems like it's due for a refresh. the 120-300 is relatively new and still stands up well, so might not be as urgent.

Last edited:
i think those are likely to be two different things. if a zoom, it's going to be a big heavy 120-300 f/2.8 (or maybe 100-300).

and that means they'd probably tried to do a lighter prime.

my guess is they'll do both, but no idea about timing.

the f-mount 300 f/2.8 is pretty stale, so seems like it's due for a refresh. the 120-300 is relatively new and still stands up well, so might not be as urgent.
Agree and zero interest in the zoom. Bright 300 prime. Like the Sony.

Well I also use 100-400GM and used to use the 200-600 and I use the F/4 and f/2.8 lenses with TCs to f/5.6 (rarely to f/8). Using the 100-400 the AF is every bit as good and fast as the two primes. Using the primes with TCs certainly hits AF prowess of the A1.
I could certainly see the IF hit rate using a 400TC or 600TC could improve over the lenses I've used on the Nikon system. But even with the lenses I've used I don't really find a much inferior hit rate with the Nikon once it has a lock and is tracking the correct subject.
What I don't believe would change is how it drops focus randomly on a bird approaching even without major distractions in the background/foreground. Also its inability to acquire at distance.
Essentially once the Nikon system is doing what it is supposed to be doing it is great, getting it to that point is where the Nikon system falls behind.
The OP is looking at an f/6.3 lens so even if the 400TC and 600TC would improve things over my experiences it won't really change things for his intended purchase.
I see, thanks for clarifying.

I switched from the A1 to the Z9 for several reasons. Sony customer service is appalling. I liked the idea of a 600mm with TC built in.
Firmware updates gave me more confidence in Nikon moving forward even if i feel they are still playing catch up in some departments. Finally, i started my photographic journey with a D810....it felt good to switch back to a similar feeling camera.

if you are chasing better AF, especially for BIF or any faster moving subjects then Nikon is not an answer.
With thousands of shots now on the Z8 as an owner inc with firmware 1.1 and 2 I've found it better overall.
Both bodies are capable of focus failures but there's a heap of setting variables and both AF systems need a lot of learning.
For me the Z8 is more reliable against a busy background using a wide AF area. It has a greater range of AF areas including 2 custom options. It can move off and back on a lock during a burst but it never does the A1 trick of showing a lock confirmation throughout a burst when the bird is visibly blurry.
On the 600 PF the rings and buttons can be customised while the Sony 400 2.8 only allowed one alternative for the function ring - on a 16 grand lens. I use the Nikon function ring for exposure compensation. This alone has been worth the change.
The Z8 has burst caching that the Sony lacks. It's limited but will give you shots the Sony can't.
And the Z8 body ergonomics are way better. A grip or grip extension isn't needed to control a big rig. Another finger on the right hand can be given work to do.
So far the A1 body is more customisable and the menus better thought out. Being able to lock the AF point location on the screen is a plus.
The Z8 cost me AUD 5,500 cp the A1 at AUD 8,500. That's a lot left over for lenses.
The bottom line regarding the whole package is more keepers and more enjoyment with the Nikon rig, and the reduced bulk and weight make plane travel easier. I don't have to pay for a 2nd item of luggage.

Last edited:
With thousands of shots now on the Z8 as an owner inc with firmware 1.1 and 2 I've found it better overall.
Both bodies are capable of focus failures but there's a heap of setting variables and both AF systems need a lot of learning.
For me the Z8 is more reliable against a busy background using a wide AF area. It has a greater range of AF areas including 2 custom options. It can move off and back on a lock during a burst but it never does the A1 trick of showing a lock confirmation throughout a burst when the bird is visibly blurry.
On the 600 PF the rings and buttons can be customised while the Sony 400 2.8 only allowed one alternative for the function ring - on a 16 grand lens. I use the Nikon function ring for exposure compensation. This alone has been worth the change.
The Z8 has burst caching that the Sony lacks. It's limited but will give you shots the Sony can't.
And the Z8 body ergonomics are way better. A grip or grip extension isn't needed to control a big rig. Another finger on the right hand can be given work to do.
So far the A1 body is more customisable and the menus better thought out. Being able to lock the AF point location on the screen is a plus.
The Z8 cost me AUD 5,500 cp the A1 at AUD 8,500. That's a lot left over for lenses.
The bottom line regarding the whole package is more keepers and more enjoyment with the Nikon rig, and the reduced bulk and weight make plane travel easier. I don't have to pay for a 2nd item of luggage.
I think many of your points are valid and I agree with many.
I think we can just agree to disagree on the AF differences between the cameras. IMO, the A1 is noticeably better for BIF shooting in a number of ways. If you are finding the Z8 better than that is great and you made the right choice.

Nitpicking, but the Sony gives you 4 wheels on the camera to allow you to control all variables without even using a function ring. I find this much better than using a ring that is in a different position on every single Nikon lens. If you only use a single lens than that doesn't matter as you will have muscle memory but if one owns a number of lenses the ring can be all over the place. When I owned the Z9 and used the Z8 I moved my ISO (I shoot full M) to the ring and that worked for me but I much prefer the 3 Sony wheels.

Ergonomics are subjective and personalized....A gripped A1 fits my hand better than a gripless Z8 and better than a Z9. But I'm okay with all of them. An ungripped A1 isn't great...that is for sure. There is only one true ergonomic king that got it perfect IMO and that is the Canon R3. Perfect ergonomics and so much lighter than the similar Z9. Nikon has better wheels...buttons are a wash but Sony has much better number and layout of them.

I would love precapture but I find the implementation in the Z8/Z9 to be not great. No RAW shooting, having to menu dive to turn it on. I have an A9III trial unit right now and the Sony implementation of pre-capture is just hands down better. No file limitations and can have a custom button activate it at anytime for instant switching it on and off. Obviously the A1 doesn't have this and never will. But it is just one more improvement to look forward to with the A1II. We have to remember the A1 is 3.5 years old now. Also using the A9III, the size and grip size and buttons are much improved. Wheels still not great. More to look forward to with an A1II.

I think many of your points are valid and I agree with many.
I think we can just agree to disagree on the AF differences between the cameras. IMO, the A1 is noticeably better for BIF shooting in a number of ways. If you are finding the Z8 better than that is great and you made the right choice.

Nitpicking, but the Sony gives you 4 wheels on the camera to allow you to control all variables without even using a function ring. I find this much better than using a ring that is in a different position on every single Nikon lens. If you only use a single lens than that doesn't matter as you will have muscle memory but if one owns a number of lenses the ring can be all over the place. When I owned the Z9 and used the Z8 I moved my ISO (I shoot full M) to the ring and that worked for me but I much prefer the 3 Sony wheels.

Ergonomics are subjective and personalized....A gripped A1 fits my hand better than a gripless Z8 and better than a Z9. But I'm okay with all of them. An ungripped A1 isn't great...that is for sure. There is only one true ergonomic king that got it perfect IMO and that is the Canon R3. Perfect ergonomics and so much lighter than the similar Z9. Nikon has better wheels...buttons are a wash but Sony has much better number and layout of them.

I would love precapture but I find the implementation in the Z8/Z9 to be not great. No RAW shooting, having to menu dive to turn it on. I have an A9III trial unit right now and the Sony implementation of pre-capture is just hands down better. No file limitations and can have a custom button activate it at anytime for instant switching it on and off. Obviously the A1 doesn't have this and never will. But it is just one more improvement to look forward to with the A1II. We have to remember the A1 is 3.5 years old now. Also using the A9III, the size and grip size and buttons are much improved. Wheels still not great. More to look forward to with an A1II.
Got to admit the rear dial is one of the main things I'd miss if I swapped over to a Z8/9 , its perfect place to scroll with the thumb .Also using a Meike plate extender makes it fit much better in the hand

I recently switched from Z9 to Sony A9III and bought the Sony 300/2.8. Steve Perry has also bought a A9III + 300/2.8 as he said in an another tread. The A9III is a different world, a different class/league, compared to Z9 - a huge step above. Aquire autofocus more quickly and much better tracking ability. Precapture is a huge leap forward in terms of capturing unique images that was almost impossible otherwise. Nikon simply do not have the tech that Sony has currently in the A9III. The 300/2.8 is a dream lens, extremely light og sharp, and so applicable as a walk around lens with the A9III. Works very well with both x1.4 and x2 extenders.

I was a Nikon D500 shooter and when I went to mirrorless, there was no Z8/Z9. So when I got a good price on a used A9II, I picked it up to try it. Loved the technology and especially all the customization and eventually upgraded to the A1. If I hadn’t yet made my jump to mirrorless and was just doing so today, I’d probably go with a Z8 for a whole bunch of reasons, but there is no compelling reason to change. I really love my Sony A1 and all the customizations, and don’t see anything that significant to make the effort and expense worth a change. I don’t think my results would be any different.

A few weeks ago I sold my Sony 600/4 and used the money to buy a (used) Z8 and the very nice 600 PF.
Reason for this is that the Sony lens is to big (sitting in my car) and way to heavy for me to carry around.
I still have a A1 and a A6700 with the 200-600, but have not used them after the Nikon buy.
Probably I am selling the A1 soon.

I have greatly enjoyed reading this thread with so many people I admire making such interesting posts. I am 77, mostly retired, and in no position financially to change brands. I changed from a Nikon D500 to the Nikon Z9 a couple of years ago and I have been extremely happy. As @John Navitsky said, it is a great time to be an action photographer.

to be fair, either does sony. the a9iii has sony’s next gen af, which is exclusive to the a9iii for now. i think we’ll be seeing all the mfgs start to roll out their next gen af soon. it’s a great time to be an action photographer!
Yes, indeed its a great time for action photography now, but it will even greater when the rest of the gang catches up with a global shutter like the A9III, hopefully in a few years time. In a few weeks the specs of the Canon R1 will be revealed - maybe with a global shutter..

Many Apologies for not replying , was without internet . So to Answer some questions currently have the 600mm f4 and using 1.4 extender most of the time so at 840mm so was looking at the Nikon 800mm pf as would be a lighter lens and also looking at the 180-600 as a swap from the 200-600 .
I love the 600 f4 image quality but its a heavy lens.
the 180-600 is fantastic value but I'm bot quite as happy at the 600mm limit.
I have the 400 2.8 and 400 4.5 but prefer the 400 f4.5.
I've borrowed the 600 pf and its great.
Although I sometimes miss the faster glass - With new cameras I can get away with less light. ..🦘

Hi, I'm curious Has Anyone Swap from Sony to Nikon Impaticulary A1 to the Z9 0r Z8 , and what are your thoughts . many thanks
RENT a Z9 or Z8 for 3 or 4 days, with a lens focal length you typically use.

a) it will answer the question for you.
b) cure your curiosity.
c) explode your mind and interest.
d) renting is cheaper than making the change till your certain.
e) after you have used the new and different, the same old will either stand out and excite you or disappoint you.

Things will go round and round one day its Apple then its PC, Nikon Canon Sony, at the top end especially they pretty tight.

The only thing i like is the Nikon small light lens range but Sony is now rolling that out slowly.

95% of what you achieve comes from YOU.

Only an opinion

I love the 600 f4 image quality but its a heavy lens.
the 180-600 is fantastic value but I'm bot quite as happy at the 600mm limit.
I have the 400 2.8 and 400 4.5 but prefer the 400 f4.5.
I've borrowed the 600 pf and its great.
Although I sometimes miss the faster glass - With new cameras I can get away with less light. ..🦘
And as they juice up the IBIS and focus intensity like in the ZF bingo it all stacks up.

As far as the poducts go, I wouldnt consider switching because I like the Sony customisation.
Any encounter with Sony Customer Service however always drives me close to the edge :mad:

There appears to be quite a big difference on the service front.

Sony UK Customer service as of today (Source - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.sony.co.uk)
Trust score of 1.5 with 9% awarding 5 stars and 82% awarding 1 star

And here is Nikon UK (Source - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/nikon.co.uk)
Trust score of 4.2 with 61% awarding 5 stars and 26% awarding 1 star
Tony F said "Any encounter with Sony Customer Service however always drives me close to the edge"

Your not alone on this point its an experience here as well.

One reason i am still with Nikon is the brilliant easy access to genuine service and support, accessible friendly in every-way and always willing to help.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I'm actually considering changing from my Sony A1 to a Nikon. Why? Because my A1 is unreliable. Everytime I use it for more than a couple of days something breaks. I just got back from Borneo, and I have a list of 5 things that went wrong with it, including inconsistent writing to the card. During a burst, I'll have a few shots that are good, then a bunch of just black images, then the last few are good again. This happened on multiple cards. When recording video, it overheated and shut down with under 2 minutes of video (yes, it was hot, but the same thing happened last summer when I was shooting walruses on an island in Bristol Bay, where it is definitely NOT hot). During a burst shooting, the viewfinder faded badly several times, and went black another time, causing me to not be able to track the bird. I've had this camera for 2 years, and this will be the third time I'll have to send it in for repair. The first time was 2 months after I bought it, when they had to replace the motherboard. I told Sony then that they should have sent me a new camera, checked this one out and if possible, sell it as refurbished. Instead, they insist on repairing it. Which means that I'm stuck with an unreliable camera. So yeah, in several years when I can afford to buy a new camera, it won't be a Sony.

I'm actually considering changing from my Sony A1 to a Nikon. Why? Because my A1 is unreliable. Everytime I use it for more than a couple of days something breaks. I just got back from Borneo, and I have a list of 5 things that went wrong with it, including inconsistent writing to the card. During a burst, I'll have a few shots that are good, then a bunch of just black images, then the last few are good again. This happened on multiple cards. When recording video, it overheated and shut down with under 2 minutes of video (yes, it was hot, but the same thing happened last summer when I was shooting walruses on an island in Bristol Bay, where it is definitely NOT hot). During a burst shooting, the viewfinder faded badly several times, and went black another time, causing me to not be able to track the bird. I've had this camera for 2 years, and this will be the third time I'll have to send it in for repair. The first time was 2 months after I bought it, when they had to replace the motherboard. I told Sony then that they should have sent me a new camera, checked this one out and if possible, sell it as refurbished. Instead, they insist on repairing it. Which means that I'm stuck with an unreliable camera. So yeah, in several years when I can afford to buy a new camera, it won't be a Sony.
Here in Oz Usually after 2 warranty repairs and the arrival of issue no 3 consumer law says they have to replace or refund, Not repair.
Nikon had a host of bad technical issues for a while till it died down.
The issue with many computerized goods of sophisticated digital content is they are very vulnerable, and outside of warranty very expensive.

I had my Z9 spoil a $30k photographic trip for two, the upside was it went from a failed phonographic trip to a full on romantic one so it wasn't all bad. Sold my Z9 recently now out of warranty, for now i run a Z8, D850, Rented D6 on occasions, but gee a lot to be said for the D850 D6 D5 for reliability LOL

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Hi, I'm curious Has Anyone Swap from Sony to Nikon Impaticulary A1 to the Z9 0r Z8 , and what are your thoughts . many thanks

As Steve said once, date the camera marry the glass.

To me the move to any brand has to be mainly considering the glass more so than the camera, currently Nikon has an impressive arsenal of glass, that said Sony is slowly rolling out some very impressive glass.

In the camera clubs i know no one has given up their Sony gear for Nikon other than one person, their system was older and not that large, they went to the Z9 with a few smaller lighter lenses as they were now doing more video than stills, they also invested heavily in some cool drone gear as their demand for aerial footage was getting stronger in what they do.

Sony will be updating their flag ship cameras very soon i hear, its all a leap frog situation.

As far as the poducts go, I wouldnt consider switching because I like the Sony customisation.
Any encounter with Sony Customer Service however always drives me close to the edge :mad:

There appears to be quite a big difference on the service front.

Sony UK Customer service as of today (Source - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.sony.co.uk)
Trust score of 1.5 with 9% awarding 5 stars and 82% awarding 1 star

And here is Nikon UK (Source - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/nikon.co.uk)
Trust score of 4.2 with 61% awarding 5 stars and 26% awarding 1 star
I find its always a culture that stems from the top of the pyramid, i like Sony Products just never the company culture and in cases practices.

I feel its not the ground employees that are the issue they just do or abide as their directed to.

Maybe i have just found the one Nikon location that is 5 star and totally customer experience and support focused, access to one to one personal service, support cooperation, its the one major reason i am still with them. I cant speak for other locations other than my experience here in OZ. Some organizations operate through systems others still use those things slowly becoming rare......called people.

My only disappointment with Nikon has been the poor and overlooked QC issues that for a size and nature of a global organization, reflect totally to the greed and cost cutting pressures from top of the pyramid.

The QC storm is behind us, but that's the only reason i would leave Nikon if that purists again.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back