Southeast Texas Wildlife Areas?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DaveC

Supporting Member
I have a chance to travel down to southeast Texas for a few days this coming January. I've not spent any time in that area, so I'm going by Google to try to find wildlife areas for photography. If anyone has a location that they've enjoyed, could you share it with me? I'm hoping to see some animals that we don't have in Minnesota. I will probably also see some wildlife that we have in Minnesota, just not this time of year. ;-)
Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a chance to travel down to southeast Texas for a few days this coming January. I've not spent any time in that area, so I'm going by Google to try to find wildlife areas for photography. If anyone has a location that they've enjoyed, could you share it with me? I'm hoping to see some animals that we don't have in Minnesota. I will probably also see some wildlife that we have in Minnesota, just not this time of year. ;-)
can you be more specific as to where you are going? Texas is a big place!

We'll be flying in to Harlingen and traveling within an hour or so from there. It looks like some nice areas along the Rio Grande.
Oh well you are in song bird capital of the USA! I wouldn’t call that SE TX most refer to it as the valley. It will help with any google searching you are doing.

If you want a 100% guarantee with killer backgrounds book some time at Laguna Seca Ranch. If not there are lots of local parks in the McAllen TX area that you can see song birds.

If going along the coast you have a lot of choices for shore birds, wading birds etc. it will more depend on what kind of subjects you want to shoot.

Oh well you are in song bird capital of the USA! I wouldn’t call that SE TX most refer to it as the valley. It will help with any google searching you are doing.

If you want a 100% guarantee with killer backgrounds book some time at Laguna Seca Ranch. If not there are lots of local parks in the McAllen TX area that you can see song birds.

If going along the coast you have a lot of choices for shore birds, wading birds etc. it will more depend on what kind of subjects you want to shoot.
Thank you for the suggestions!!!

This brochure from the completed 2023 Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival ought to give you lots of ideas. If you like macro photography, check out the butterfly locations as well as locations for birds. If you have the time and money check out Ruth Hoyt's website to see if she has any trips scheduled that might be of interest to you. Or considering hiring her if she is free. I also recommend the Laguna Seca Ranch outside of Edinburg, TX.

South Padre Island National park is a great place to go. Beautiful down there.

It is but it’s harder to get places where you can shoot at water level. The boardwalks are nice but you’ll be limited to what you can get.

Like some others, I would recommend you look into staying/photographing for a day or a few at Santa Clara and/or Laguna Seca Ranches. These are dedicated photography ranches with blinds near water holes. Easy photography, frankly, and very productive. Santa Clara has the advantage of offering its own facilities for lodging and food (if you like Tex-Mex). The cultural-interpersonal experience can be a bit idiosyncratic, however, if the founder-owner happens to be around. I will leave it at that. Laguna Seca does not offer lodging; you would need to stay in nearby Edinburg. You need to hire one of the Laguna Seca-approved guides, but these people are quite good, in my (limited) experience.

This brochure from the completed 2023 Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival ought to give you lots of ideas. If you like macro photography, check out the butterfly locations as well as locations for birds. If you have the time and money check out Ruth Hoyt's website to see if she has any trips scheduled that might be of interest to you. Or considering hiring her if she is free. I also recommend the Laguna Seca Ranch outside of Edinburg, TX.

Thank you!

Thank you!!

Thank you!!!

Like some others, I would recommend you look into staying/photographing for a day or a few at Santa Clara and/or Laguna Seca Ranches. These are dedicated photography ranches with blinds near water holes. Easy photography, frankly, and very productive. Santa Clara has the advantage of offering its own facilities for lodging and food (if you like Tex-Mex). The cultural-interpersonal experience can be a bit idiosyncratic, however, if the founder-owner happens to be around. I will leave it at that. Laguna Seca does not offer lodging; you would need to stay in nearby Edinburg. You need to hire one of the Laguna Seca-approved guides, but these people are quite good, in my (limited) experience.
Thank you!!!

I love Laguna Seca Ranch. What I usually do is first stay on South Padre Island and shoot to the South Padre Island Bird Park and the Convention center boardwalk for a couple of days, then transition to Edinburg and spend 3 days at Laguna Seca. You are a bit early for Painted Buntings at Laguna Seca but you will get your fill of Green Jays and Cardinals among others.

Tom

I love Laguna Seca Ranch. What I usually do is first stay on South Padre Island and shoot to the South Padre Island Bird Park and the Convention center boardwalk for a couple of days, then transition to Edinburg and spend 3 days at Laguna Seca. You are a bit early for Painted Buntings at Laguna Seca but you will get your fill of Green Jays and Cardinals among others.

Tom
Thank you!!!!

Thank you!!!!
On South Padre Island I stay @ the Best Western Beachside Inn. In Edinburg I stay @ Best Western Plus Edinburg Inn & Suites. My wife and I typically ask for Ruth Holt as a guide. However, the owner, Gene, is also cool and a good guide.

On the boardwalks the birds either need 600-800mm of reach or are "right there" so you need a second camera or a zoom. At Laguna Seca 600MM reach is enough although more can be useful.

If you go say hello from Ginnie and Tom Reynolds to Gene and Ruth.

A Great Kiskadee taken OM-1/300
329978129_1706093263167821_4990219711630468880_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
f4, @ Laguna Seca

On South Padre Island I stay @ the Best Western Beachside Inn. In Edinburg I stay @ Best Western Plus Edinburg Inn & Suites. My wife and I typically ask for Ruth Holt as a guide. However, the owner, Gene, is also cool and a good guide.

On the boardwalks the birds either need 600-800mm of reach or are "right there" so you need a second camera or a zoom. At Laguna Seca 600MM reach is enough although more can be useful.

If you go say hello from Ginnie and Tom Reynolds to Gene and Ruth.

A Great Kiskadee taken OM-1/300View attachment 76682f4, @ Laguna Seca
Thank you!!! Good information.

Everyone has given me some REALLY good tips!!! Thank you so much. This is sure a great forum!!!!
Thank you Steve Perry for all that you do!!!!

Back