Southern Cassowary

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

kkr_images

Supporting Member
Marketplace
During a visit to northeastern Australia in 2023, we were lucky to see some Southern Cassowaries. Here are a few images I took. The first is a female which was wading through a field of wet grass. The female is larger than the male and tends to be solitary. Next, I have added a portrait of a male. Males are responsible for raising the chick. Finally, I have included a portrait of a one-year old chick which has not yet fully developed the colorful skin and remarkable crest; you can see this bird is just getting the wattles which will grow quite long as it matures. The adult cassowaries are very large birds which can be 5'8" tall and weigh as much as 125 lbs. These flightless birds have remarkably long, sharp claws which they use for digging in the rainforest.
Southern Cassowary (F) wades through the grass.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Southern Cassowary (M) portrait 2.jpg
Southern Cassowary protrait (juvenile).jpg

Fantastic photos of a such a unique animal to those of us on the other side of the equator.
I really like the first shot with the cassowary walking through the "sea" of grass.

bruce

Fantastic photos of a such a unique animal to those of us on the other side of the equator.
I really like the first shot with the cassowary walking through the "sea" of grass.

bruce
Thank you, Bruce. It was pretty cool seeing this huge bird striding through this deep green grass. Kathy

Back