If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SpaceX launched the Falcon 9 at 10:58PM from SLC-40 at Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The Falcon 9 carried the TurkSat-5B satellite to geostationary transfer orbit. The building to the left of the launch is the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) made popular during the space shuttle program. It was a great night to watch the launch from nearby Titusville, FL.
20211218-_G5A2336-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Next time I'll use a wider lens :)

Thanks, Steven. I've lived here 6 years and am still awestruck by the launches.
[/QUOTE]

Always wanted to go, since Apollo days, in fact. Space travel, rocket engineering never gets old, does it!

Always wanted to go, since Apollo days, in fact. Space travel, rocket engineering never gets old, does it!

No, it never does. If you ever get the chance to come to Kennedy Space Center, the visitor center and museum are very interesting and really nice. The tour to the launch pads is pretty cool, too. One of these days, I'm going to see what it takes to get access to setup a remote camera at the launch pads and shoot from the top of the VAB. I think it's media only, but doesn't hurt to ask.

No, it never does. If you ever get the chance to come to Kennedy Space Center, the visitor center and museum are very interesting and really nice. The tour to the launch pads is pretty cool, too. One of these days, I'm going to see what it takes to get access to setup a remote camera at the launch pads and shoot from the top of the VAB. I think it's media only, but doesn't hurt to ask.
Oh yes, do ask! :) That would be great.

Very neat shot, TonyB! Any launch from Cape Canaveral is inspiring. I spent a lot of my youth in Central- and South-Florida and remember the launches from Apollo 8 and on. One of my fond memories of launches is from when I lived in Stuart, Florida and the Shuttle launched early in the morning (pre-dawn) while I was on the way to work. I happened to see it fairly early and pulled over to watch it and, with very clear skies, I was able to watch the flame plumes from the solid rocket boosters and the main engines until the SRBs separated and then just the mains until the vehicle was to the horizon. I so wish that I had had my camera and a tripod set up for that launch, but I wouldn't have had a wide angle lens then. One of these days, I'm going to get down there to do this with the current launches.

One of these days, I'm going to get down there to do this with the current launches.
Thanks. There are now 4 or 5 private companies planning launches from Kennedy Space Center. If you are going to come down, be sure to check the launch schedules.

Stunning! There is a place on a wall for that one. Just curious, what settings did you use? It looks tack-sharp.
Thanks. Exposure time was 3 minutes, f/18, ISO 100. I normally shoot at f/11 but on this night, the full moon was directly overhead and was really bright. Focus was set to manual and preset to infinity, using one of the lights as the reference. The R5 was mounted on a Feisol tripod with leveling base and a Kirk BH-1 ball head. Exposure was started with a cable release.

Love the streak thru night sky! Vandenberg AFB used to launch in So Cal when I was in school, always loved to see the sight off Santa Monica Beach Never gets old. Thanks for showing.

SpaceX launched the Falcon 9 at 10:58PM from SLC-40 at Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The Falcon 9 carried the TurkSat-5B satellite to geostationary transfer orbit. The building to the left of the launch is the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) made popular during the space shuttle program. It was a great night to watch the launch from nearby Titusville, FL.
View attachment 29125

Next time I'll use a wider lens :)
Really cool, like it. đź‘Ť