If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Sometimes you walk for hour, gets cold, and tired but you don't get a shot. Today was quite the opposite. I was summoned to the window by my wife, and there just 5-7 meters into the garden was a sparrowhawk. I succeeded to squeeze open the window and pop out my lens without scaring the hawk, even the clattering of the D850 did not annoy it.
Sparrowhawk with an almost whole house sparrow

_DSC9243.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Sparrowhawk with a house sparrow
_DSC9245_02.jpg

Sparrowhawk with a dispersed house sparrow
_DSC9345.jpg

Sometimes you walk for hour, gets cold, and tired but you don't get a shot. Today was quite the opposite. I was summoned to the window by my wife, and there just 5-7 meters into the garden was a sparrowhawk. I succeeded to squeeze open the window and pop out my lens without scaring the hawk, even the clattering of the D850 did not annoy it.
Sparrowhawk with an almost whole house sparrow

View attachment 25973
Sparrowhawk with a house sparrow
View attachment 25974
Sparrowhawk with a dispersed house sparrow
View attachment 25975
Nice capture! It looks like a Coppers Hawk. They have had a meal of several of my backyard birds.

Thanks. Cool bird. Looks a lot like our Coolers
Or sharp shinned hawks. Good to know the European version. Appreciate the info
The confusion arises with common names (not that I have a clue about most of the latin ones). For instance, American Kestrel used to be called the Sparrowhawk, but it's always been Falco sparverius. If you don't know what country the photo was taken in, it can be hard to ID.

No doubt that if you want to have a secure reference to what animal we are looking at, you should stick to the Latin name as it is surely unique and given according to scientific guidance. Sometimes the popular name is misguiding or ambiguous