Speedigimble for Monopods

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

dabhand16

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I know this guy! he is a moto cross and other genres photgrapher in the UK and he has invented this gadget that just might be of interest.

He has been associated with Essential Photo - their brand is Pixapro (re-branded Godox) for a long time now.

From Essential Photo website:

Colin Brister has been a PiXAPRO Partner for many years now, using the PiXAPRO CITI600 strobe for a range of photography uses including Motocross with dirt bikes and some beautiful sport and wildlife photography! Colin even has an impressive portfolio of lighting tutorial videos on the EssentialPhoto YouTube Channel thanks to his experience and expertise!

Here it is on Colin's website:

Free world-wide postage for a limited time too.

I just caught an ad for this product on my Facebook feed. Has anyone had any experience with it and if so, what do you think.? I get the speedy part but not a gimbal. Looks accident prone to me.

Watching him use it, it seems that one hand I’d required to hold the lens foot down onto the ball. If you lift the lens at all, the ball simply drops out. Would have made more sense if there was a retainer that engaged automatically but required intervention to release.

Using a Ball & Socket device on a monopod does indeed look like a pole too high.

This Stabilens (= Steadilens) gadget has been selling in S Africa for a few years. It works well on a car window or on a firm plank in a hide; as the telephoto rig can be lined up without holding the supported base

Seems like a gimmick to me. Everyone I know who uses a monopod, keeps the lens attached to the monopod and just slings it over their shoulder or across their body.

This speed thing seems unnecessary and like it's just adding risk with no real benefit.

Back