Spring in the Wichita Mountains NWR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RGS

Here are a couple of shots from a short visit between jobs to the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in SW Oklahoma. The first is a kind of semi-silhouette with a pair of Geese on the rocks near Quannah Parker Lake. The second is a heavily backlit view of some of the first wildflowers (Indian Paintbrush) of the season. In another 2-3 weeks the refuge will be in full bloom, but, for now, just a few hardy ones are getting everything started.

2404 -  268.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2404 -  265 D.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great captures. We’re so jealous, we had planned on going there last weekend, but the weather forecast scared us into changing our plans. Based on what we had seen & heard later, we made the right choice. But after seeing your shots, we’ll get there. Would you consider the spring to be the best time of year to visit? Thanks for sharing.

Great captures. We’re so jealous, we had planned on going there last weekend, but the weather forecast scared us into changing our plans. Based on what we had seen & heard later, we made the right choice. But after seeing your shots, we’ll get there. Would you consider the spring to be the best time of year to visit? Thanks for sharing.
Spring is the most colorful time. The green has not yet been beaten down by the summer heat and the wildflowers are spectacular. I was there again today and the summer birds have begun to arrive. I photographed a Summer Tanager and heard Painted Buntings everywhere. There were Warbling Vireos and Balck-capped Vireos around as well as several others. Last night's storms filled the creeks with water, but the wildflowers are not yet at their peak and the cacti have not yet bloomed. It's a good time to visit - all of May and June will most likely be very colorful and rich with plant life and lots of critters.

Very nice. If I remember correctly, you've shared shots from this location in past years. Only driven through OK and you inspire me to check it out.
Yes, I have. I've been photographing the Wichita Mountains for about 40 years - it never gets old. It's a rugged, magnificent place. Do stop if you get a chance. It's worth a trip.

Back