Squirrel Monkey Climbing Down

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tibor Hrnko

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I would appreciate any comments, especially those that are pointing to problems .

BCG-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Love the crop, BG greens are nicely muted. I will brighten the eyes a bit as well as the black lips and maybe darken the BG behind it. A diamond gradient will do that nicely. If you are not fimiliar with it, Blake Rudis of 64 academy has a wonderful tut on it. Darkening the BG will draw the SM out into your eye.

Love the crop, BG greens are nicely muted. I will brighten the eyes a bit as well as the black lips and maybe darken the BG behind it. A diamond gradient will do that nicely. If you are not fimiliar with it, Blake Rudis of 64 academy has a wonderful tut on it. Darkening the BG will draw the SM out into your eye.
Thx a lot Callie. I will try to apply your comments.

@Callie - " Blake Rudis of 64 academy has a wonderful tut on it "

Just had a quick glance at his web offerings. WOW. I can see myself spending vast amounts of time on that site. Trouble is finding what you want. Want to give us a hint to find that particular tut.? :)

I would appreciate any comments, especially those that are pointing to problems .
It's a beautiful image with a soft quality that's still sharp where it has to be. Great subject, great composition and nice light with the rim lighting on the fur around the shoulders and head.

The bright background branch is distracting. Lot's of ways to burn that down a bit including the advice above but I'd probably try to take the edge of that bright background highlight a bit. I might also try just a bit o highlight recovery to see if I could bring out more fur detail around those bright shoulders but that might not help, hard to say without trying it.

I also tend to add some vignette to the edges, especially in a single subject portrait like this. Not so much it's blatantly obvious but just a bit of edge and corner darkening to contain the view a bit though again the diamond gradient suggested above may also take care of that.

Very nice image!

Last edited:
The bright background branch is distracting. Lot's of ways to burn that down a bit including the advice above but I'd probably try to take the edge of that bright background highlight a bit. I might also try just a bit o highlight recover to see if I could bring out more fur detail around those bright shoulders but that might not help, hard to say without trying it.

I also tend to add some vignette to the edges, especially in a single subject portrait like this. Not so much it's blatantly obvious but just a bit of edge and corner darkening to contain the view a bit though again the diamond gradient suggested above may also take care of that.
Thx for the hints.

@Callie - " Blake Rudis of 64 academy has a wonderful tut on it "

Just had a quick glance at his web offerings. WOW. I can see myself spending vast amounts of time on that site. Trouble is finding what you want. Want to give us a hint to find that particular tut.? :)
I download the tuts from You-tube, so do not have the URL's. Here are some Vid names from Blake.
Gradients vs Gradient Maps; 3 Expert Tips for Gradient Management in Photoshop CC 2020; How I Completely TRANSFORM my photos with the Diamond Gradient in Photoshop
BR is a very competent PS tutor, looking at PS in a different way than many others.
Hope you can get them in google

The bright background branch is distracting. Lot's of ways to burn that down a bit including the advice above but I'd probably try to take the edge of that bright background highlight a bit. I might also try just a bit o highlight recovery to see if I could bring out more fur detail around those bright shoulders but that might not help, hard to say without trying it.

Here is the one with adjusted background lights. Hint of whites darkening around head, but not too much as it looked a bit dull.
BCG-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back