Sri Lanka Tips & Advice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Flemming Morgan

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I will be traveling to Sri Lanka for the first time in ten days. We will be combining cultural, landscape and wildlife. For wildlife we will be going to Minneriya National Park and Yala National Park (where I understand there is a high concentration of leopards). I am wondering whether to take my Sony 400mm f2.8 or the Sony 100-400 mm GM for the wildlife with a 24-105mm f4. Then I have a 20-70 mm for landscape and street which should be enough. I imagine the wildlife part will be pretty crowded with vehicles and a bit more chaotic than Africa. Would be very happy to have any tips or suggestions

I was there with friends in October and 95% of my photos for birds and wildlife were taken with my 500 PF. I can only remember several occasions when I wished I had something shorter; more often that not, I wished I had something longer. For wildlife and birds, then I'd recommend your 400 f2.8 with a 1.4 teleconverter unless you are concerned about weight. My second camera had a Nikon 24-120 and that covered everything else I did--people, buildings, landscape. I have a Z100-400 but I would never consider taking it to Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka is hardly ever mentioned here but it is amazing place for birding. We were there 2 weeks and for me, one of the highlights was the Sinharaja Rain Forest, in spite of the numerous leeches. We found the food to be excellent, especially since we all like spicy food.
I am curious which tour company you are going with. We went with Walk with Jith and I could not recommend the company more highly. The tour involved some cultural highlights as well. The accommodations were generally first class and our guide was the best you could imagine. Our guide went out of his way to find some endangered endemic species of birds as well the purple-face leaf monkey.
Here is a link to my mainly birds photos from SL: johnhallett.myportfolio.com

Thanks very much for the tips and your excellent photos. I will definitely take the 400 f2.8 with TC. It’s great to see that Indians like having their photos taken as I like taking pictures of people!
We are going with A&K and an itinerary recommended by a friend of my wife who is Sri Lankan.
Your website is great. Did you create it yourself or use Squarespace or something similar? I see you were in the Pantanal also. We went a few years ago.
Many thanks again for your response

You could try the site: https://www.wilpattu.com as a resource. I will be there in 4 weeks, I do not visit Yala Park usually as it tends to be overcrowded. Wilpattu National Park, which is a larger park usually has far less visitors. The 400mm F/2.8+TC will work well for you the 70-200 F/2.8 GM also would be very useful. You could PM me to discuss some nuances of visiting Sri Lanka if needed.

You could try the site: https://www.wilpattu.com as a resource. I will be there in 4 weeks, I do not visit Yala Park usually as it tends to be overcrowded. Wilpattu National Park, which is a larger park usually has far less visitors. The 400mm F/2.8+TC will work well for you the 70-200 F/2.8 GM also would be very useful. You could PM me to discuss some nuances of visiting Sri Lanka if needed.
Many thanks. It looks as if it may be too late to change the itinerary to go to Wilpattu but I will try nevertheless. Yes, I will also take the 70-200 f2.8. Would be great to PM you about Sri Lanka. How do I do that?

Thanks very much for the tips and your excellent photos. I will definitely take the 400 f2.8 with TC. It’s great to see that Indians like having their photos taken as I like taking pictures of people!
We are going with A&K and an itinerary recommended by a friend of my wife who is Sri Lankan.
Your website is great. Did you create it yourself or use Squarespace or something similar? I see you were in the Pantanal also. We went a few years ago.
Many thanks again for your response
Thanks for the kinds words about my photos and website. The site is included in the Adobe monthly subscription for photographers; also included is PS, LR Classic, LR, Bridge and maybe a few other things. It is dead easy to create a collection in LR and then upload it to the site. Other than LR, My Portfolio is the most useful part of the subscription.
Have a great time in Sri Lanka.

Thanks for the kinds words about my photos and website. The site is included in the Adobe monthly subscription for photographers; also included is PS, LR Classic, LR, Bridge and maybe a few other things. It is dead easy to create a collection in LR and then upload it to the site. Other than LR, My Portfolio is the most useful part of the subscription.
Have a great time in Sri Lanka.
Many thanks. I have a Lightroom subscription so will check it out. Thanks for the information.

I visited SL 7 or 8 years ago and it was amazing. I did a couple of trips into Bundala National Park on the south-east coast. Incredible for bird life and well worth a visit. Bundala is just south of Yala NP. Enjoy.

Back