Standing Guard

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We were walking along a trail b a rather large lake in our area. something caught my wife's eye and she pointed up to an eagle sitting on a sycamore branch. About 40 or so yards back behind where this one was siting we saw a nest. I shot a couple photos of the nest and we moved on about our hike. I didn't realize until I got home there was a sweet head poking above the nest. Since eagles take turns tending the nest I'm not sure if it was the male or female on the nest but I would like to think it was papa standing guard over the nest and mama was ending the eggs. Could just as easily been the other way around but "papa standing guard" makes for a better story. :)
_T3A0970.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_T3A0992.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

We were walking along a trail b a rather large lake in our area. something caught my wife's eye and she pointed up to an eagle sitting on a sycamore branch. About 40 or so yards back behind where this one was siting we saw a nest. I shot a couple photos of the nest and we moved on about our hike. I didn't realize until I got home there was a sweet head poking above the nest. Since eagles take turns tending the nest I'm not sure if it was the male or female on the nest but I would like to think it was papa standing guard over the nest and mama was ending the eggs. Could just as easily been the other way around but "papa standing guard" makes for a better story. :)
View attachment 56809View attachment 56810
Really nice shot, Jeff.

The mama eagle tends the nest during the hatch mainly, the papa eagle brings the lunch & dinner. He sits in the nest from time to time, mostly when she needs to do her business or stretch out. The 38-day hatching can be brutal, especially when the weather turns bad.

Oliver

View attachment 56809View attachment 56810
Really nice shot! Well done👍👍👍

Really nice shot, Jeff.

The mama eagle tends the nest during the hatch mainly, the papa eagle brings the lunch & dinner. He sits in the nest from time to time, mostly when she needs to do her business or stretch out. The 38-day hatching can be brutal, especially when the weather turns bad.

Oliver
Thanks Oliver. I kind of thought the one sitting in the tree overlooking the lake was the male. It was fairly small and not as heavily bodied as some of the females are. I knew both parents bring food to the babies but wasn't sure about the incubation period.

Back