Steve's video 5 Metering Tips Every Nikon User Should Know

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you look at images sometimes and think "Dang, that metering is messed up" then you need to watch this video. Some great info that can make or break an image, or at least keep you from struggling with it in post. Stuff I didn't know after all these years, and info you won't find in a manual.

Just watched the video, and there are some golden tips for every Nikon user out there. Going to change my D7500 to reflect the new knowledge I have. I do have one question regarding Exposure Lock. How does it work when you have Focus Lock. For example, I live in Devon, SW England. So its not always sunny. I take pictures of surfers, and the water is grey, the sky is off grey and the Surfers are wearing Black wetsuits, and then there is a large amount of white water!

If you use Exposure Lock, to get a balance grey exposure can you then use Focus Lock to get the surfer in Focus? Or would the Exposure lock be lost?

Ironically its actually sunny today, so cannot check!

Thanks for the great tips.

Rob

Just watched the video, and there are some golden tips for every Nikon user out there. Going to change my D7500 to reflect the new knowledge I have. I do have one question regarding Exposure Lock. How does it work when you have Focus Lock. For example, I live in Devon, SW England. So its not always sunny. I take pictures of surfers, and the water is grey, the sky is off grey and the Surfers are wearing Black wetsuits, and then there is a large amount of white water!

If you use Exposure Lock, to get a balance grey exposure can you then use Focus Lock to get the surfer in Focus? Or would the Exposure lock be lost?

Ironically its actually sunny today, so cannot check!

Thanks for the great tips.

Rob

Focus Lock actually locks the focus distance, not the target. For surfers, Focus Lock is a no go for sure.

If you look at images sometimes and think "Dang, that metering is messed up" then you need to watch this video. Some great info that can make or break an image, or at least keep you from struggling with it in post. Stuff I didn't know after all these years, and info you won't find in a manual.
Yup, time for me to read Steve's book on metering too. I had so many 'lights on' moments reading his autofocus book; so so much I don't know :)

Back