Sticky gel sensor cleaner for mirrorless?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rixpx

I have successfully used the Eyelead gel sensor cleaning stick on my DSLR. I haven’t used it with my Z7. I’m not sure, but I recall reading that mirrorless sensors don’t have a protective antialias filter that DSLRs do.

Does anyone have experience or issues using a gel stick on mirrorless?

It is not the AA filter that acts as a protective filter m. As pointed out did not all DSLR bodies have the AA filter (D800E, D810 and D850 for instance).
The reason why sensor cleaning is more tricky on (Nikon) mirrorless bodies is the IBIS and the stress one can cause on the sensor when applying too much stress on the sensor.
And yes, I would be very hesitant in using this sticky gel as well.

The reason why sensor cleaning is more tricky on (Nikon) mirrorless bodies is the IBIS and the stress one can cause on the sensor when applying too much stress on the sensor.
And yes, I would be very hesitant in using this sticky gel as well.

The IBIS will be fine as long as the sensor is locked and IIRC on the Nikon that is when the camera is switched off. I think Sony cameras are the other way round with the sensor being locked when turned on.

The IBIS will be fine as long as the sensor is locked and IIRC on the Nikon that is when the camera is switched off. I think Sony cameras are the other way round with the sensor being locked when turned on.
I agree with this. I used the Eyelead sensor gel stick on my Z6 and Z6II with good success. I have not needed to use anything other than a rocket blower on my Z8 yet. The sensor shield seems pretty effective in keeping dirt off the sensor.

I agree with this. I used the Eyelead sensor gel stick on my Z6 and Z6II with good success. I have not needed to use anything other than a rocket blower on my Z8 yet. The sensor shield seems pretty effective in keeping dirt off the sensor.
I used Eyelead regularly on my Z7, have used it once on my Z9 and so far not needed it on my Z8

The Zf, Z8 and Z9 have a fluorine coating above the sensor, highly likely to eliminate any possible problem with Eyelead.

Zf screen %22protection%22.png

Thanks for the input. I feel better about using the Eyelead to remove any big “goobers.” I will be taking 2 week tour of the Alps this summer. So far I’ve relied on the Giotto blower, which I’m reluctant to take on the airplane, because it resembles a mortar shell 😉🤨. The less I interact with the TSA, the better. I may have look into a less threatening looking blower.

Thanks for the input. I feel better about using the Eyelead to remove any big “goobers.” I will be taking 2 week tour of the Alps this summer. So far I’ve relied on the Giotto blower, which I’m reluctant to take on the airplane, because it resembles a mortar shell 😉🤨. The less I interact with the TSA, the better. I may have look into a less threatening looking blower.
I've flown to the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Africa, and USA with my Giottos blower. Never an issue.

I've flown to the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Africa, and USA with my Giottos blower. Never an issue.
That’s good to know. I was once given a hard time by a TSA agent in California over souvenir coasters my wife purchased and asked me to put in my camera backpack. I understand the need for security, but the agent seemed a bit over zealous.

The IBIS will be fine as long as the sensor is locked and IIRC on the Nikon that is when the camera is switched off.
Except on the Zf. In that case the sensor is locked only when the camera is powered on.

Perhaps the word “locked” is not totally correct because the sensor can still move when the camera is on, obviously. It’s supported by the IBIS motor and doesn’t move freely as it does when the camera is off.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with stops, its a service issue. It is like Ford making a car with the spark plugs having a left hand thread.
Nikon are likely buying in an IBIS system with up to 8 stops IBIS used by several other manufacturers.

The locking method of this product is likely different to the one possibly bought in for the Z6, 7, 8 and 9.

It may well be uneconomic for Nikon to pay for designing a different to that readily available up to 8 stops IBIS for a $2,000 body.

Nikon are likely buying in an IBIS system with up to 8 stops IBIS used by several other manufacturers.

The locking method of this product is likely different to the one possibly bought in for the Z6, 7, 8 and 9.

It may well be uneconomic for Nikon to pay for designing a different to that readily available up to 8 stops IBIS for a $2,000 body.

If Nikon are buying in parts I think they would be made to Nikon specifications like the Sony made sensors in the top end Nikon cameras rather than Nikon or any company putting up with what they can get. It makes no sense for a range of cameras to have different servicing requirements but if they are, it is inconsistent.

I could be wrong, but I assume "up to 8 stops" claims from manufacturer A isn't any better than "up to 5.5 stops" from manufacturer B in real life. It's likely rather a matter of how "up to 8 stops" is defined.

I could be wrong, but I assume "up to 8 stops" claims from manufacturer A isn't any better than "up to 5.5 stops" from manufacturer B in real life. It's likely rather a matter of how "up to 8 stops" is defined.
You could be wrong :)

There is a CIPA Standard using a Lens and body attached to an anvil type device to determine how much sharpness can be obtained.

While the CIPA methodology is probably not an exact replica of average handholding ability, the standard is intended to be used so that Company A and Company B results can be compared

Back