Stuck in manual mode

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a new Nikkon Z8 camera and a Nikkon 100 to 400 mm S lens. After setting it up, I took it out for a test run only to find that I am stuck in manual mode. I’ve checked all the obvious settings that I’ve I’m aware of, but can’t get out. Your advice would be appreciated!

Two things yo check first up.
if the camera has “hung up”, turn it off, remove the battery for about a minute, re-insert battery and turn on.
Second suggestion is consult the manual.

I have a new Nikkon Z8 camera and a Nikkon 100 to 400 mm S lens. After setting it up, I took it out for a test run only to find that I am stuck in manual mode. I’ve checked all the obvious settings that I’ve I’m aware of, but can’t get out. Your advice would be appreciated!
By “stuck” do you mean that pressing the mode button and turning the command dial has no change?

So what mode do you want to be in? You change it and nothing happens? Check out the online user manual?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your responses. I have now resolved the issue. It turned out I was touching the manual focusing ring when holding the lense to shoot.

Back