Subject tracking

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

More than a little embarrassed to post this but for the life of me I can not seem to engage Subject Tracking for video on my 850.
I have a pair of fox that pass by our house that I wish to video. I have read Subject tracking is less that perfect but I seem to have difficulty maintaining focus. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The AF tracking in video mode with the D850 is for all intents and purposes, useless. I'm convinced Nikon added video to the D850 back in 2017 mostly to check off a box on the tech specs sheet. The camera produces great video, but it can't do tracking AF in video at all. It even struggles to do AF-S in video.

More than a little embarrassed to post this but for the life of me I can not seem to engage Subject Tracking for video on my 850.
I have a pair of fox that pass by our house that I wish to video. I have read Subject tracking is less that perfect but I seem to have difficulty maintaining focus. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
It doesn't work. On any DSLR. That's one area where mirrorless clearly excels.

Back