Summer photography tips to avoid heat haze and distortion

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone. I shoot mostly nature and bird photograph, with an emphasis on birds. We live in S.C. and spend equal time in the upstate as well as on the coast. I shoot primarily with my Z9 or Z8 and either my Z600/6.3 or my Z800/6.3. This year I’ll be targeting shorebirds even more than years past for some projects I’m involved with and my question is how to avoid soft images caused by heat haze or distortion. I’ll be shooting on the beach a lot, as well as some tidal pools and marsh. What wise words can you share to help me make the most out of these two lenses? I mainly shoot handheld or with a ground pod, sometimes a tripod. I’ve attached a photo I took last fall using my ground pod and 800/6.3 but it was one of those perfect weather days, no wind, low humidity and mild temps. Those days are few and far between here in S.C. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Snowy Egret-.jpeg
    Snowy Egret-.jpeg
    599.2 KB · Views: 71
The best ways to avoid atmospheric effects are generally to shoot near sunrise to avoid the hottest parts of the day and to find ways to get close enough to your subjects so you're not shooting through so much atmosphere, water vapor and dust. The second part can be tough but it goes a long way towards taming heat shimmer and atmospheric issues.

Apart from DR's advice, ensuring your gear is ambient temperature, checking weather conditions before the shoot, and accepting the inevitable. Surprisingly, the air can look pristine (clear, no humidity), though due to heat differentials between ground/air, water/air, the distortion can be severe.

Back