Summer Tanager

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Had the chance to photograph a number of summer tanagers, and liked this guy against the green backdrop. Reminds me of Christmas M&Ms :)

As they are in breeding plumage this time of year and the leaves are coming out there was no saturation added to the photo, so there is a lot of punch.

Processed in Adobe RAW, Topaz DeNoise, Nik Color Contrast filter, Nik Detail extraction filter (brushed on the bird). Brought up the exposure just a touch on the bird,
and lowered the background a little to try to get the tanager to pop.

Thanks for any feedback on it.

Z9, 600 VR S, 840mm, 1/1000, ISO 1100.

z summer tanager 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I love that. However, I agree with the comment above re: cropping, although I don't think I'd crop quite as tight as suggested.

My only comment would be that you could have used a lower shutter speed, which would have allowed you to keep the ISO down, but that's being picky, and easier said than done.

I agree with the crop suggestion, not so much to increase the subject size but to alter the composition so the bird is looking a bit more into the frame instead of its implied sight line out of the frame to the right.

Thanks for any feedback on it.
Nice detail in the enlarged shot but to be clear my point was to leave more negative space to the right of the bird so it's not looking so strongly out of the right side of the frame.

To me that's a beautiful bird, with a great perch and a great background that was well captured but compositionally awkward as it all but pulls the viewer's eye right out of the frame to the right. As others have posted a looser crop that leaves the bird's tail a bit inside the left of the frame but retains some additional negative green space to the right side of the frame would help the composition but it's a personal thing.

Also instead of replacing the image in the original post with each edit, you might add a new post with each successive edit. It helps other forum folks see the starting point and each new edit which is helpful as folks come here to learn and it's tough to follow the various edits if the original image just gets replaced each time.

Back