Sunrise over the Beaufort Sea!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Sunrise over the Beaufort Sea! I was finishing a 2019 rafting trip on the Firth River, Ivvavik Park, Yukon. We were above the Arctic Circle, 69.5 deg north, night time was from 2:50 to 3:00am on July 27th. I had to get up in the middle of the night (3:14am), so I put my camera on a tripod and took this pic. The driftwood in the foreground (on Nunaluk Spit) was piled up to block the wind from our tents.
Sony (a7R3, 24mm f1.4 GM) 1/200s, f/11, ISO 400, tripod.
Sunrise-over-the-Beaufor-Sea!.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

You have to pull a hat over your eyes to sleep in the tent, but you never need a head-lamp.

My problem was the Inuit's, very few of who had actual jobs but instead lived off of welfare and/or money from the oil companies, would ride their 4 wheelers until 4 am or even all night long. I had to be up in time to be at the hospital by 6. I wound up sleeping with ear plugs and one of those masks over my eyes. The scenery was beautiful but after living in FL for 30 years, morning temperatures of 28º in July and SNOW in July and August was a bit much. I could not wait for that 13 weeks to be up!

It is currently 24º in Barrow at 1pm EST. Oh HELL no, it is 75º and sunny here now!

Last edited:
Back