Sunset at Cape Spear Lighthouse

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kathy G

This lighthouse is a National Historic Site on Cape Spear, Newfoundland. Taken with Nikon D850 with Nikon 24-70 lens. Constructive comments are welcome.
CapeSpearAug20_0206_Nik.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful Kathy, I second Joe on the leading lines but also like the subtle detail in the foreground rocky areas, the bright white lighthouse that draws you in and then the pastel clouds and blue sky. Really nice work!

Beaut place and image. if it was mine, I would open up the FG and darken the light patch in the sky immediately left of the light house, as well as tone down the white fencing and patch above the pimple of the LH. I may lighten the intensity of the blue and increase the structure in the pinks. All subtle touches and subjective. Try dehaze in ACR, it can be overwhelming but also pleasing. Work on a layer copy, then you can mask and fade. Works wonders on clouds. Nik collection too.

Beautiful Kathy, I second Joe on the leading lines but also like the subtle detail in the foreground rocky areas, the bright white lighthouse that draws you in and then the pastel clouds and blue sky. Really nice work!
Thanks DR. A number of friends have said they like this photo, thanks for pointing out why it is pleasing. I don’t always recognize these things.

Beaut place and image. if it was mine, I would open up the FG and darken the light patch in the sky immediately left of the light house, as well as tone down the white fencing and patch above the pimple of the LH. I may lighten the intensity of the blue and increase the structure in the pinks. All subtle touches and subjective. Try dehaze in ACR, it can be overwhelming but also pleasing. Work on a layer copy, then you can mask and fade. Works wonders on clouds. Nik collection too.
Thanks Callie. Thanks for the editing suggestions. I agree the FG could be lightened a bit more. I was debating darkening the fence, but the sun was hitting it so I decided to leave it - but I will try it with toning down the white. I don’t use Adobe software. Instead I use Photolab 3. Pretty sure I used Photolab’s version of dehaze on this photo and I think a bit more dehaze might bring it into that too much zone. I also used Color Efex. If I remember correctly I used the more clarity recipe plus a few other filters. Color Efex added that extra punch to the photo and really brought out the sky colours. Thanks again and I really appreciate the constructive criticism

Thanks for all the great comments and advice everyone. I did the edits suggested. Regarding the foreground - I left the grass as is because the sun was hitting the rocks, which I did brighten. I darkened the sky a bit by decreasing the blue luminance. And, just in case anyone cares to know, I used the TIFF file that was created by Nik Collection but did these small adjustments with my raw processor.
CapeSpearAug20_0206_Nik.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great scene and composition Kathy. Interesting and informative discussion re processing. What are the thoughts beyeeen using Nikon tools as opposed to Lightroom/PS etc?
Thanks Hawkeshead. I think you mean Nik collection vs LR/PS. I have never used PS but I have used LR. The last time I bought LR it was version 5. I switched to Photolab a few years ago and I am happy with it as a raw processor. I have only had the Nik Collection for a few months. So far, I really like the collection. There are a lot of plug ins to play with. I don’t know how it compares to PS

Back