Sunset Kestrel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What are your thoughts on this image from a few years ago?
Kestrel in Theler.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Any comments are appreciated.
G

Thanks for the comments. I may try to re-work it. It did well as a print in our club Salon last year.
I will attach the original image with no corrections other than to re-size it (from NEF to .jpg).
I did quite a bit of work on it, but do not recall all the changes it went through; could have been a lot in multiple programs.
Biggest change came from sending the color balance from "as shot" at sunset to 2900K to take down the reds. Let me know what you think. I accept the contrast being a bit high. In the print, at 13x19 after the crop, I did not see too much artifact. Newer versions of noise reduction might have helped. I'll let you judge.
Comments still appreciated.
_NID4010sm_2.jpg

Much better! The image looks much more natural now. Not sure why you edited out the golden light in your first edit, it looks great! I'd repeat the crop. The crop from the first one was perfect. If you have Lightroom or DXO, pull down the clarity/microcontrast on the background and then up it on the kestrel.

I use DXO, but the version I was using 5 years ago is not the same as the current one.
The de-noise on the attached version here is the newest Deep Prime, and is should work better.
I tried your recommendations; what do you think?
The kestrel is back in our area again, but today and yesterday were cloudy, so the light is not bright or good.
At least she is back. Spent an hour yesterday at our wetlands, but mostly struck out, though several species were around.
All the best. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for your comments.
_NID4010sm_2-1.jpg

This is perfect! The photo is much improved. My last suggestion would be to cool down the white balance a little bit, it's a little extreme right now. And maybe a mask on the cheek to lower the highlights. Hope you can get more opportunities with this kestrel, and happy thanksgiving.

Back