Sunset landscape ... with a big prime ...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Usually a birding lens is not a great choice for landscapes. But that is what I had, and I thought this shot turned out interesting, if nothing else.

CloseUpSunset-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It was worth the shot. No retinal damage hopefully? :oops:
Exactly! Nor damage to the lens and/or sensor. I've shot sunrises and sunsets several times, and once the solar disc is about one diameter above the horizon, on the best days, I'm done. Even then, I'm using an old 300mm AI-S lens and viewing the image on the camera's LCD screen and not the viewfinder. I never view the solar disc directly through a non-electronic viewfinder.

Exactly! Nor damage to the lens and/or sensor. I've shot sunrises and sunsets several times, and once the solar disc is about one diameter above the horizon, on the best days, I'm done. Even then, I'm using an old 300mm AI-S lens and viewing the image on the camera's LCD screen and not the viewfinder. I never view the solar disc directly through a non-electronic viewfinder.
You guys make a good point. By the time I took this picture, it really didn't seem that bright, but I was in fact looking at it through a D500 viewfinder.

No damage to my eyes or the sensor.

What do you do for sunrise/sunset pictures? I can use live view for my eyes, but the sensor?

You guys make a good point. By the time I took this picture, it really didn't seem that bright, but I was in fact looking at it through a D500 viewfinder.

No damage to my eyes or the sensor.

What do you do for sunrise/sunset pictures? I can use live view for my eyes, but the sensor?
Live view for framing and shooting, while minimizing the time the solar disc is viewable, as well as shooting it only when it is on, or nearly so, the horizon.

Back