If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

janzin

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just returned from a trip to Svalbard, Norway, on a small expedition ship (16 passengers but we were only 12.) Twice postponed due to COVID, originally we were supposed to go later in the season, in late May, but the only slot we could get rescheduled was this late April trip. It was extremely cold, colder than normal, even the zodiac motors froze and we could make no landings due to the extensive ice. So too early for whales and most birds. Still, we saw 8 polar bears, including three cubs...not always in photograph-able conditions. An amazing experience!

Still going through the photos but here's a few of one of the best, if short, bear encounters. This young male walked right by our ship (4 a.m. knock on the cabin door--bear outside!)

All with Nikon Z9, 500PF with 1.4 TC. 1/1600 F8.

JZ9_6818a.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

JZ9_6847a.jpg

JZ9_6855a.jpg

We also were able to photograph a mother bear with a cub from the zodiac, and another lone male in a snow squall. Once I go through those I'll add more.

Excellent set of images, Janet,
My wife and I were fortunate to do a trip to Svalbard in June 2014, one of the best wildlife experiences we have had,
Thanks for sharing and please post more,
Regards,
Gavin

GREAT images, Janet! As Louie said, good on you for braving the cold conditions! I would think getting a solid exposure would be tough, but you sure make it look easy! Please share more!